LegacyGT.com

1998 OB BG5 swap. Help!

I have a 98 OB 5 speed with 216,000 on it and its leaking oil and has a lot of little problems and im looking at buying BG5 legacy twin turbo engine with transmission and 70,000 miles. Would that be able to bolt right up since its a legacy anyways? If not, what type of things would i have to do? I have an understanding of cars and mechanics and would hopefully be able to do this myself.

Not exactly, you also need the ECU (Sometimes called PCM) for the new engine. And there is some splicing you'll need to do. A lot of splicing.... familiarize yourself with the wiring diagrams of both engines because you'll have to make a sort of frankenstein harness.

No, a twin turbo JDM ej20 will NOT fit directly in a left-hand drive car. There is an issue with the secondary turbo and the LHD steering column that prevents it from fitting properly. You will need to convert it to single turbo or convert your entire car to RHD if you want to use that engine.

Those engines are notorious for spinning bearings anyways, I'd try and find a used 02-05 WRX ej20 if you want to save some headache.

See this thread here for engine and wiring FAQ's: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386462

With any n/a to turbo conversion, you would need to either notch your crossmember to allow clearance of the uppipe, find a 91-94 Legacy Turbo crossmember or get the wrx crossmember and shim the control arms for a proper fit.

Otherwise, it will bolt right in. The wiring is still the tricky part. Spend as much time as you can going over the WRX and Legacy wiring pinouts for the ECU so you know exactly what you're doing.

Archived