LegacyGT.com

05 LGT or 06-07 Spec.B for $8-10K more??

Hey everyone, I'm a total newbie here so please go easy on me ;). I am in the market for a fast & fun, yet roomy 4-door sedan....the 2 cars I am looking at are the Mazdaspeed6 & the LGT. A friend of mine just got a MS6 & I must say that car is a ROCKET! It also handles extremely well, but most of the ones I am finding are the sport model which has cloth seats & no moonroof. I am leaning towards the Legacy because it feels a little more solid & comfortable, I like the body lines better, & since I will probably upgrade it in the future it appears the aftermarket support of the Subaru is much stronger.

So, locally there is a nice 05 LGT sedan with about 49K miles, as well as a beautiful 07 Spec.B with only 18K miles, but the Spec.B is almost $10K more than the 05! I have read up on what the Spec.B has over the normal GT, & from a performance standpoint it comes down to the suspension, the 6-speed, & the Torsen diff. So what do you guys think, are those items worth it? I am a veteran autocrosser, so things like steering feedback, gearing, etc are all important factors to me. How is the 6-speed geared? Is 6th extra tall, or are the others just spaced closer together? What are the aftermarket suspension options compared to the standard strut set-up in the regular GT? I know the Spec.Bs are rare, I think I read there are less 07s than 06s (like 432??). I like rare, I own a Galant VR4 as well as an 94 R Package Miata, the questions is how much is that worth?? I know most of this is subjective, just curious what you guys think. Thanks in advance everyone, I hope to be a proud owner here very soon.

sounds priced a little high for the 07...but I consider the 07 SpecB the best of the legacys (lighter than the 08s, nicer grill and bumper IMO, and black on blue interior vs. black on black).

I would nab the SpecB if you are autocrossing and desire to have a more durable tranny, plus you are correct on the gearing as the 6 speed does not have a tall 6th.

Anybody with a GVR4 will love a LGT. I once owned #746/2000 and I also had an 89 Mirage turbo at the same time -- the two rarest Mitsubishis ever.

The "regular" LGT has softish suspension but it's nothing some aftermarket work can't cure. I haven't tried the 6spd so I don't know how it compares. I'm finishing up the "power" part of the equation and will work on the suspension when I've recovered from paying for all the go-fast parts.

Hopefully someone who's owned both LGTs can chime in with the differences they've experienced.

Thanks for the welcome! The 05 2.5GT is $16500 & the 07 Spec.B is $24990. Again, the Spec.B only has 18K on it & is essentially new, but that's a big premium for a car only 2 years newer.

Wow, 89 Mirage Turbo...very cool car! I always have my eye out for one of those...or the Colt GT Turbo of the same year =) I have actually had 7 different Galant VR4s over the years, there is just something about their quirkiness I like. I attached a picture of mine, here is what it looked like in it's prime....

On the suspension...don't the Spec.Bs have like the inverted struts from the STi or something? What does that do for geometry if anything? What's the advantage over the standard strut set up in the LGT?

I don't neccessarily plan to autocross this car...at least competitively anyway ;-) That's what my Miata R is for =D Unfortunately in stock trim all the LGTs are in D Stock where it would be tough to beat the Integra Type Rs & the new BMW 135I. If you start modifying the LGT, it would be in STU, where the top cars are Evos & STis, or it would be in ESP where the Pony cars dominate (Mustangs/Camaros). I would do some track days with it though, with some more power should be a fun ride down Thunderhill's straight, & with some good suspension should be fun down Laguna Seca's corkscrew =).

On another note, I located a 30K mile 06 Spec.B for almost the same price as the 07 I mentioned above. It's about a 5 hour drive from here to go get it, so not sure it's worth it. What's the consensus on the 06 vs. 07 Spec.Bs? I know the 06s are numbered like the Galants VR4s are, & the love-it-or-hate-it red seats are interesting. Plus it's a 5-speed right? Any performance advantages on the 06?

Thanks guys for the info, so far it's been a big help!

1345737892_1991MitsubishiGalantVR4065.thumb.jpg.112a2c93c70a599506cec2d355a92b52.jpg

the 06's just have the leather, nav unit, 18inch heavy ass wheels, but does have the inverted aluminum struts and bilstein shocks.

With your goals I would rather save the cash and feel less bad chucking 6k into the motor and suspension for a nice gt

Guest heightsgtltd
Price for the 07 spec.B is high. You should be able to get an 08 used for the price, and actually, some guy just got a brand new 09 for 26K before taxes

Archived