LegacyGT.com

LGT MT vs. Mustang GT

Well, I'm sure you all know the outcome, but I just had to post this up because the guys in the car were such bastards:

Late night, no one really around, two lanes, mustang GT with the top down and two guys like early 20's (college guys probably, just like me) enjoying the evening right in front of me. So... I get into the other lane as the light in front of us turns red, roll my windows down, stop, look over, give a little nod - not even an FU-let's-go-nod, just a hey-your-car-is-OK-too-nod. Here's what gets me: they start to laugh!!! LAUGH!!! and sort of look down at my car like, what the hell is that? So I change my nod this time to the first type (the FU type) and sort of edge forward to the line. So he revs his big V8 and I sit silent, the light turns, I get a nice perfect launch - not enough to smell the clutch, but enough to get a little chirp out of my Pirelli's (I'm stage 1 AP) - and bye bye mother fu$%er's, I took em to about 90 and moved over and made my turn off... they turned the other way, with a new look on their faces.

Just thought I'd share this because now there are 2 more people out there who respect the car.

-Weston

Do you know what year it was. How many car lengths did you have him by at 90? A friend of mine who has yet to ride in my LGT, feels the same way they do. I have yet to race him as his Mustang is in the body shop. (been there for a few months) His Mustang is a 97 with exhaust and more aggressive gearing.

The new mustang, in all it's beauty, is a slouch. Ford needs to step up to the plate and dish out some horespower if they want any respect from the automotive community. I'll give them credit for finally making it look good though ...

Nice kill :)

In the latest R&T, they tested an '05 V6 'vert and a GT for their cover article. Got 6-something to 60 with the V6 and 4.9 sec to 60 with the stock GT. 4.9! That's not very slouchy in my opinion. The GT's 1/4 was 13-something, I believe. I'm too lazy to go downstairs to read the actual article. Sorry.

Maybe the magazine guys got a factory ringer...

From what I've seen in the mustang forums, most people are getting low 14's on street tires. Not really a slouch by general standards, but what I ment was that they got 300HP from a 4.6L V8? C'mon ... that's lame.

I do really love the looks of the car, but I think it needs about another 100HP to match those looks. Think about it .. from roughly halft the displacement, the LGT has 50 less hp? Granted, there is a turbo in the mix, which makes up for a lot of that.

A mustang GT is only a V6 last time I checked unless it was a Cobra... (and the Mustang GT are dirt slow last time I drove a stock one). Also doesnt help that it's a heavy car... and having an extra person in the car kills the speed.

Nothing to brag about.. those two guys probably still dont know what beat them.

Keefe

Keefe

my mistake, old info that I remembered.. normal Mustangs are V6, Mustang GTs are V8s... and Cobras are Blown V8s..

Mustangs weigh in already at 3400 lbs at curb weight. (plus a full tank of gas, and 2 other college guys in the car, you're looking close to 3900 lbs). and their final drive is 3.55 vs. the Legacy's 4.11... and we are using relatively the same tire size... it's not THAT much of a difference from a 215/45/17 vs. a Mustang GT's 235/55/17 (the difference in redline rpms balances it out from 6500 rpms vs. Mustang's 5750 rpms). I I would say you wouldnt have a hard time beating them if you have the AP1 on your side anyways.

Keefe

Keefe

run them in the cold, with some engine management.. they only have 2 wheels for their all-season tires to try to hook up in the cold.. at least we have a better chance getting grip with 2 more tires...

Keefe

Keefe

I hope the original poster comes back and tells us what round about year this convertible GT was.

At the track, I beat a convertible automatic '95 - '98 model GT horribly. He ran a 16.0.

A 5-speed '99 - 04 GT would be impressive, though.

But no matter what year it was, I'm glad you laid the smack down on them. A Mustang GT driver should appreciate, or at least be educated on the capabilities of other street contenders.

Hey Weston ... sorry for hijacking your thread ;)

No worries, I just wanted to tell a story... the Mustang was NOT an '05. I don't know exactly what year it was, but it was the body stiyle just before the brand new ones.... By the looks on the outside I would guess 2002 -2004.

Oh... and by 90 I was probably like 3 cars on him... I pulled hard in first, less hard but still pulled in 2nd, by third I was maybe pulling barely or we were even, the I let up and moved over (in front of him, of course).

Weston

I've knocked out a Mach 1 at the 1/8th mile -- 8.8 to his 9.1. AWD and 15+ years at that track get the job done :D

I never hesitate to lower the boom on someone that deserves it. I don't always win but it's almost always! It's so fun in the LGT because nobody knows what's coming.

hehehe...i took out my friends 00 gt convertible with intake and exhaust

i have no performance mods yet, just my intake silencer out

i won by a car from a 30mph roll and by over a bus length from a light....ppl cant drive their cars

Stock for stock, the '99 - '04 GT coupe would be a pretty close matchup to the '05 LGT sedan. The Mustang can do as well as 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. But after 60 I bet LGT has an edge due to its aerodynamics. Add into the equation the fact that this Mustang was a convertible, then the Legacy has an even bigger advantage since the convertible is about 150 pounds heavier than the coupe.

The result of your story is about what should of happened.

The 99-04 MGT runs low 14's at 99-100 mph in the 1/4

The Convertible will be close to mid 14's at 97 ish mph.

The fact he had a passenger too (maybe 200 pounds extra)

AND the top down (less aerodynamics) means on a good day

he'd be in the 14.8 @ 95 mph range.

The AWD launch gave you the lead from the get go and as would be expected

you pulled a bit from there.

The 05's are pretty d@mn fast though. They're running high 13's at triple digit speeds.

As for having "only" 300 hp from a 4.6 liter...well think of it this way:

it gives them room to improve.

Also keep in mind, this is from a SOHC engine and runs on unleaded regular.

Tuning for premium would probably yield another 5-10 hp as it is.

Most other engines in that size range are DOHC engines and aren't making

too much more power.

4.3 liter from Lexus is 300 hp

4.5 liter from Infiniti is 340 hp

Make the 4.6L from the current 05 MGT a DOHC AND run on premium and I'm sure it would be pushing 340-350 hp.

Nice run Weston

Archived