LegacyGT.com

Urgent help needed: Dealing with insurance adjuster

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are definitely some factors that people just dont understand in an accident. I would suggest reading the VTL ( Vehicle Traffic Law ) book. Those are the written rules of the road. People need to familiarize themselves with this book. If one driver is heading north through an intersection, another vehicle is heading south attempting to make a left turn down a side street and there is no left turn arrow for the vehicle heading southbound. The vehicle making a left turn has the greater duty to yield right of way to the oncoming vehicle no matter if the vehicle heading northbound is speeding or not.

Points of impact is another issue. If the vehicle heading south makes the left turn in front of the other vehicle and the vehicle making the left is hit on the passenger side 1/4 panel, there may be a bit more liability on the driver heading straight through the intersection because the veh making the left had control of the intersection, they were almost able to complete their turn. However, if the vehicle making a left pulls out into the intersection to make the left turn and the two vehicles connect front to front. The veh making the left would most likely be 100% at fault.

Very hard to give a quick assessment b/c there are alot of factors that are reviewed prior to making a liability decision. Weather, road conditions, traffic, # of lanes on the road, traffic controls, points of impact, first sight, view obstructions, speed, statements, police report... All these factors must be reviewed by your adjuster prior to making a liability decision....

Phewww... Sorry for the lengthy explanation!

Very hard to give a quick assessment b/c there are alot of factors that are reviewed prior to making a liability decision.

This is true. Each accident will have it's own small details. It's like tuning. No two cars will be identical :lol:

My expeirence with the dashcam seems to be that in an acicdent situation people are generally assumed to be driving safely unless there is an accusation to the contrary. The dashcam provides the opportunity to apply hindsight to every single aspect of my driving.

I wonder how hard this would be to do with those micro-USB cameras these days. I would think a USB 4 port hub + a laptop with software would do the trick in most cases.

Winning the internet

Is that new? I was in MN while I was doing this and I never recall this argument working. If a guy had a stop sign and incoming traffic vehicle did not have a stop, if said guy did not stop and went and the other guy nailed him, even if the other guy was speeding, that doesn't mean you're off the hook from failure to stop and yield. You're the majority at fault.

'The other guy was speeding"

Yes. And the cops will dutifully handle that ticket.

No, this law has been around for years.

It is a comparative negligence issue, but yeah, the speeding car loses.

The landmark case is someone who backed out of a driveway and was hit by a speeding car. IIRC the speeding car was found at equal fault.

You're not "off the hook" but you're not 100% at fault.

These tend to happen in rural areas, which is more fun, because in non-urban areas MN's speed limits are prima facie.

This goes beyond so obscenely fast that the fault is obvious. We're talking about like 5-10 mph.

In theory it can be a criminal defense too (and a complete one), but it has never been successfully argued.

An obsure MN law no one has ever used is that technically, if you're doing 55mph through an intersection where the speed limit (actual, not posted) 55mph, you're speeding.

Of course, the whole problem is that it is much easier to tell who failed to yeild than who was speeding, so this law gets ignored. Except in serious injury death cases where sending an investigator out is worth it.

Note that failure to stop is different than failure to yield.

Stopping at a stop sign is its own crime. Failure to yield is another. For example, if someone stops and the proceeds into the interestion and is hit by a car they didn't see, misjudged the speed of, or something, that is failure to yield. Speed is not a defense for failure to stop. Only failure to yield.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

So I finally got the car back from pearl autobody here in boulder. It took them literally 2 weeks to fix a bumper, drivers side headlight, and quarter panel.

The first time they called me (3 days after dropping the car off) you could see where the paint had run down the side of the door, still had a broken headlight, as well as bumper, bumper clips, and a big scratch on the door....

Complain.. Complain.. Complain...

They then called me back 3 or 4 other times, each time for me to point out that they still had not fixed (XYZ).

Finally they finished it all up yesterday....

Though when it was all said and done, they replaced everything with OEM parts (which Farmers didn't want to do) and didn't charge me a dime..

They did nice work, though be wear they tried to cut corners with me. Albeit they fixed everything I found wrong with it's back to almost as good of shape as it was prior to getting hit. (I count having to have the door blended as a blemish *shrugs*)

Winning the internet

Archived