LegacyGT.com

break in period sucks!

first, u have to drive the car like a porcelian vase on wheels, plus im getting crazy mileage. it seems like im going thru a quarter tank a day, and i only live 15 mins for work!! does this thing have a hole in the gas tank!! i kno after the car is "broken in" the mileage will get better, and i can overdose on boost, but this sucks right now. not too fun to be a new subaru owner.

My dealer told me that the so called "break in period" is a myth, and that most cars these days come with engines that are pre-broken. I was also told that Subaru's do come with engines pre-broken, just don't to use the cruise but drive as you normally would. They made a point to say not to hose on it before 1k but also not to baby it.

My dealer told me that the so called "break in period" is a myth, and that most cars these days come with engines that are pre-broken. I was also told that Subaru's do come with engines pre-broken, just don't to use the cruise but drive as you normally would. They made a point to say not to hose on it before 1k but also not to baby it.

In other words, the dealer wants you to abuse it just enough that you need service after the warranty expires. :lol:

In other words, the dealer wants you to abuse it just enough that you need service after the warranty expires. images/smilies/lol.gif

i doubt thats the reason, the dealer wouldn't suggest doing 70 in a 35 zone just so u can fully enjoy your new vehicle. i did not pay attention to the breakin sutff, i too, beleive its a myth. i wanted the legacy to be a fully joyous experience, form the very start

Don’t modern ECU controlled vehicles self-protect during ‘break-in’?

My ’02 Audi A6 2.7T all of the sudden had tons of extra power after the 3K service. So I talked to the tech, who mentioned they clear a flag in the ECU for post break-in.

I’d also think that the Subaru ECU would look at current miles and auto-switch maps from a conservative ‘break-in’ mode to a full tilt after x (1000?) miles.

My ’05 GT 5EAT with 500 miles is letting the engine hit 5500 rpm in ‘Sport’ mode. So I’d guess if that’s OK by the computer, it’s OK from a warranty standpoint. Still, I try not to have that happen to often until >1000.

I also plan on requesting fluid changes at 1,500 and 3,000 miles. Both engine and tyranny. At 6K, I’ll do the diff’s as well, especially as that will be mid summer in Atlanta.

After blowing a tranny twice in an SVX, I’ve learned that fluid changes are cheap insurance for stressed auto-boxes in subies.

It is not necessary to change the trans fluid so early in an AT. Unless you do a lot of severe driving and up and down steep inclines there's no reason to change it. I have yet to change mine in my 97 corolla with 70k miles on it. Subaru says to inspect it and every 15k mile and only replace it if you drive that way. My 02 Forester is at more than 30k and I have yet to change it. But if you can afford it then go for it. But at 1k and 3k is really unnecessary.

I have my GT for 5 days now and ran 800 miles on it. Took it to the mountains today for snowboarding. Even in it's 'crippled' mode, I could easily overtake other cars on the ascent to 8000ft, while keeping the revs below 4000rpm, and the amazing thing is the gas mileage on the dash was reading 26mpg (avg) by the end of the trip

Picture Gallery

It is not necessary to change the trans fluid so early in an AT. Unless you do a lot of severe driving and up and down steep inclines there's no reason to change it. I have yet to change mine in my 97 corolla with 70k miles on it. Subaru says to inspect it and every 15k mile and only replace it if you drive that way. My 02 Forester is at more than 30k and I have yet to change it. But if you can afford it then go for it. But at 1k and 3k is really unnecessary.

Well, that's what they said when I got the SVX. Rebuilt the tranny at 9K, then at 72K. On that last rebuild, I added a huge ATF cooler and a shift kit. Car is still going strong at 120K now (with a new owner). I believe that if I had changed fluids regularly and added the cooler early in the life, the tranny would have lasted 100K before a rebuild.

I have a peculiar situation. I live in the mountains, and even though I try and warm the car up a bit, when I leave my driveway, I go to a 35 degree incline hill and ascend 600 vertical feet in first, second gear before the first downhill. That puts a bit of stress on the tranny.

Like I said, cheap insurance. Especially when brand new, fluid changes evacuate the debris of break in.

I do plan to up the HP on my motor and will take all preventative measures to manage the heat and additional torque in the tranny. Step one is to put a temp gauge on the ATF fluids. Step two is to determine if the OEM oil cooler is up to the task. They generally are not.

Jonathan

I have my GT for 5 days now and ran 800 miles on it. Took it to the mountains today for snowboarding. Even in it's 'crippled' mode, I could easily overtake other cars on the ascent to 8000ft, while keeping the revs below 4000rpm, and the amazing thing is the gas mileage on the dash was reading 26mpg (avg) by the end of the trip

Wow, man I have had my car for almost a month now (in 4 days it will be a month) and i only have 600 miles on it. My milage is terrible. I'm being safe than sorry, I have gone over 4500 a couple times, and I feel bad every time I do it. Its hard not to. Hopefully by next week my break in will be complete..... I'm finally taking her on the highway for a long distance :D

It's better to be safe than sorry. It was tough driving my car between 55-75 for 1,000 miles but the anticipation was well worth it.

Thats not necessiarly true. There are some pretty decent arguments going around that breaking a car in softly will cause the engine to not make its full power potential.

Personally, I took my car up and down through the rev range a lot. I didn't keep it at one RPM for very long. Even some believers of a hard break-in think I did it incorrectly.

Archived