LegacyGT.com

Anyone Trade their STi in for the GT?

I'm thinking about trading my STi in (or selling it) for a GT. My STi is my daily driver and it can be a bit rough.

Has anyone here done this and if so did you regret it?

Why would I do this? My wife hates the STi and the ride quality, not to mention the catless turbo back.

I would still plan to upgrade the GT and maybe its a little more civil than the STi.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

I didn't trade in a STi, but I did trade in an evo for my LGT. I would say go for it. Right off the bat you are going to get a roomier interior, more refined ride as well as a more refined interior. I personally plan on doing enough mods to boost tq/hp to at least STi levels and tighten up the handling a bit. For not too much cash you can have a really nice ride that your wife will enjoy too!
.o0O0o.

i traded my STi for a forester XT and then got a legacy GT.

i don't miss the STi at all and at the limits of adhesion, the legacy's more sophisticated rear suspension means it ultimately handles better. the STi had a gutsier engine but it's all relative.

i am really pleased with the legacy GT. it's not a huge drop in performance but a huge gain in refinement.

Yes, I traded my '04 STI in for an '05 Legacy GT Ltd. No regrets at all.

Mine was a daily driver, and even though I had changed from the original tires to some high performance all-seasons, the ride was still pretty hard.

By trading in the STI I was losing the DCCD, which I never used anyway, the 6-speed, a drop in HP from 300 to 250, and the HID headlights. Thats it.

I gained a smoother ride, fog lights, heated leather seats, a sunroof, heated mirrors, no more brake dust problems(my STI was white), no spoiler splitting the rearview mirror, 35% lower insurance, and most of all, no body trying to get trophy parts from my car (STI Badges front and rear, Fog Light Covers). You get tired of replacing them after a while. Nobody really pays much attention to it, either. And all that for less than the STI cost. Gas mileage seems to be the same.

I in the process of preparing to buy a car. I test drove both the LGT and STi (among many many other). I am going to buy an STi - Yea Im not a fan of the wing - and truthfully the body doesnt turn me on much. BUT The car is a beast. I dont understand why people think the ride is rough. Its just nice and firm to me. Hell on the highway my SUV bounces over the concrete worse than the STi did... Im fairly excited to buy the car ~may. LGT is a wonderful car - but at 23 I still got a few more years of fun in me. I actually plan to recover the seats in leather and add a sunroof - Its been done and it doesnt cut the brace...

Leming: what do you mean the the LGT has a more sophisticated rear suspension?

Jeff

I dont understand why people think the ride is rough. Its just nice and firm to me. Hell on the highway my SUV bounces over the concrete worse than the STi did...

Jeff

Well you see that everyone has a different opinion on what a rough ride is. I did not drive an STI but a regular WRX and thought the ride was to rough or firm. The legacy has a more civil ride which in turn makes it more comfortable. I already own a Trans Am Firehawk which rides rough or really firm if you want to call it that. I didn't need another car with a ride like that and my previous car to the legacy was a Saab 9-3 so I got used to a luxury ride.

One mand firm ride is another mans rough ride. Sure SUV's bounce, but you will fell more bumps ect in the STI.

Thanks for all the opinions,

I think the STi rides rough for a daily driver and considering I live in MI the roads are crap here.

I did test drive the GT but it was new and the sales guy would not let me take it over 4000rpm which I understand. I'll need to find a dealer that has a demo with more miles on it so I can really see how it drives.

I'll keep you posted,

Brian

Yep. Today I traded my STi for a LGT Ltd., 5-MT, Garnet Red, no spoiler. I'd been wrestling with this decision for months. I hated giving up on the STi, which in some respects I loved. Great drive-train. Great fun. But I couldn't take the daily grind of the harsh ride. I only had it for 6 months, but remorse started setting in early on. I thought I'd get used to the ride, and I did to some extent, but the roads I travel daily are just too rough. I too put on expensive grand touring tires which softened the ride a little, and added sound proofing which, together with the quieter tires, cut down on the noise a lot. But in the end, it was too much the hard core race car to be a daily driver on rough roads on which I seldom got to open it up anyway. I don't feel like I'm giving up much in the way of performance, but feel like I'm gaining a huge amount of ride comfort and refinement plus the creature comforts of sunroof, leather, heated seats, mirrors, wipers etc. It's the car I should have bought six months ago, but after reading all the forums acclaiming the virtures of the STi, I decided to go all the way and get the ultimate performance Subaru. Live and learn. I'm very relieved to have finally made my decision to trade for the LGT and can't wait to begin enjoying my daily drive in comfort again. I should get my new car in two or three days on dealer exchange.

All the best, and thanks to all of you who helped me arrive at my decision.

Bob

I recently sold my 04 STi, which I do miss badly, but used the $$ in favor of a Garnett Red Outback XT. The wife really likes it, although gives me a hard time about driving a "granny" mobile. I like the stealthiness of it, the ride height (feels like SUV or is it command seating :lol: - or whatever Ford calls it). Anyway, after break in, I do plan on modding lightly to around STi stock levels. Ultimate sleeper, and tons more comfort and refinement.

Also, put an order in for a Tribeca for the wife after we both stopped into our local dealership here in Buffalo, NY for a one day viewing.

OBXT709,

How's the used 04 STi market? Can you let me know what you settled on for your 04? I have 28K miles on mine.

thanks,

Brian

I recently sold my 04 STi, which I do miss badly, but used the $$ in favor of a Garnett Red Outback XT. The wife really likes it, although gives me a hard time about driving a "granny" mobile. I like the stealthiness of it, the ride height (feels like SUV or is it command seating :lol: - or whatever Ford calls it). Anyway, after break in, I do plan on modding lightly to around STi stock levels. Ultimate sleeper, and tons more comfort and refinement.

Also, put an order in for a Tribeca for the wife after we both stopped into our local dealership here in Buffalo, NY for a one day viewing.

I traded in my 04 STI for the 05 LGT Ltd. Wagon. The wife-unit could not drive the STi and would not learn for that matter. The ride was not too harsh for me. I just could not see the baby on the way driving around with me. So, I traded and have been quite happy with the Legacy. Oh, and the wife has been too!

What color did you end up going with? I love my Outback, and can't wait until it's broken in. Almost went with a Legacy wagon, until I saw an Outback in Garnett Red :D. Also, wife is definitely happier with the heated seats and dual climate control = no more road trip arguments! ;)

I traded in my 04 STI for the 05 LGT Ltd. Wagon. The wife-unit could not drive the STi and would not learn for that matter. The ride was not too harsh for me. I just could not see the baby on the way driving around with me. So, I traded and have been quite happy with the Legacy. Oh, and the wife has been too!

I picked up the LGT yesterday. She's beautiful. Garnet Red and taupe. I will attempt to post pics when I get a chance. I can't believe how silky smooth both the ride and performance is compared to the STi. It honestly almost FEELS faster, because of how easilly and smoothly it accelerates and shifts. I was pretty sure I'd get the short throw shifter installed, but now I'm thinking I'll live with this one for awhile and then decide. Hard to imagine the STS could be as smooth as the stock shifter. I am so happy I made the decision to trade the STi, this is such a much more enjoyable car for me. And it only cost me $500 to get another brand new car which is more to my liking. ($27,000, minus $26,500 TI allowance). I will say I miss the 6-speed a little, maybe just untill I get more used to the 5-speed. I must also report that the ACC worked better in the STi, which seems weird considering the much greater luxury of the Legacy. And the audio volume control on the STi has much finer increments of adjustment. Just a few nit-picks, but all-in-all I couldn't be happier. The STi was a brutish beast in comparison. The LGT is a sophisticated lady. :D

Archived