LegacyGT.com

K&N short ram intake.

Higgins1980

I have a 2005 Legacy 2.5GT. I'm thinking of getting a K&N kit for it. I've heard that in addition to a gain in HP, you also get a gain in fuel efficiency. Is this correct and if so how much can you expect to see? Thanks in advance for the help.

• Mega Users
Well, neither are true if you're not going to tune it. Do some searching and you will find that the maf reads incorrectly and leans out your air/fuel mixture which = bad. There are plenty of other more effective ways to modify the car. Don't bother getting an intake unless you a. go w/ a FMIC or b. want to drive a honda civic. The stock air system flows well enough

ive had my kn intake on my 05lgt sence 6000miles, im at 87,000 now stock other wise no issues ever. had kn filter new to 6000miles

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

I've noticed Car and Driver got 17hp and 23tq with their K&N on their 2009 WRX. Seems odd there is nothing to be gained on a Legacy?

I thought they did a reflash when they did that, didn't they? Or was that a different magazine?:confused:

No, they did not. They bought an exhaust and intake and tested each on a dyno separately. The intake gained 17hp 23tq, and the exhaust gained something as well. When both mods were combined the gains were less than an intake alone, something like 11hp and 15tq or something. They concluded the computer could not compensate for increased airflow at both ends and bought an access port and a downpipe and a custom tune, resulting in significantly higher numbers. The fact remains though that there were increases with an intake alone, before any tuning took place. An interesting note though that with all mods and custom tune they took off something like .3 sec 0-60, and .4sec in quarter mile, so I doubt the 17hp and 23tq from an intake alone will make for a noticeable improvement, but extra power is extra power.

i dont doubt the gain.... if i remember correctly the k&n comes with a heat shield so it SHOULD reduce intake temps some.... but i would definitely get a tune... well... maybe not a full tune... but you would need to rescale the maf.... but 17hp and 23tq does sound a bit high.... i have read in numerous places that if your still using a stock turbo you DO NOT need to change the intake because the stock box flows plenty enough... there are numerous people running the vf52 with the stock box and still make great power.... so if i were you i would save the money and put it elsewhere more useful.... thats just my opinion though...

Archived