LegacyGT.com

Rear end Squeal/Whine

Hello all,

I have searched the forum and I found one similar posting it was from like 4 years ago so I think I will re ask the question for some advise.

My car: 1999 Subaru Legacy GT 5 speed with 2.5

The problem is I have a Whine that turns into a Loud Squeal, coming from the rear end of the car. From about 3000 The noise starts, and progressively gets worse until I shift at around 5k rpm (Think merging onto highway). It does not matter what speed I am driving, or what gear I am in. As soon as I hit above 3000RPM the noise starts. The more Gas I give it, the louder the noise. The higher the RPM, the louder the noise.

A good example is this. When traveling on the highway, at about 75mph the car spins at 3500RPM. At this speed I do not hear the noise. The moment I hit a hill, and cruise kicks in more power, the whine returns. IF I where to downshift on that hill to 4th and really give er, it would be a High Pitches Squeal.

Anyone have any good ideas ? It was suggested by a mechanic it could be a wheel bearing or CV.. any input you guys have would be great. And the noise is coming, somewhere from the rear end of the car.

KnifeyMcShanker... you where right. The problem is with the exhaust. Before, when I was trying it standing still I was simply not flooring it, only half throttle. If I stand still and floor it, I hear the sound sitting still. With the help of my wife, I can confirm its coming from the exhaust system.

Archived