LegacyGT.com

Traffic ticket help

rtbrjason

So today I got my first ticket in over 10 years.. I was on 390 leaving Rochester and got hit for 84 in a 65. The trooper already gave me a reduced ticket of "failure to obey a traffic device" (1110a). This seems like a pretty good deal really, should I just send this in as guilty or should I attempt to plead it to nothing?

Any one have any idea how this ticket will effect insurance rates? I'm more concerned with that than anything else.

Or you can just pay the ticket. If you were speeding, you were speeding. And as far as trying to schedule a date around the cops 'vacation schedule', it doesn't quite work like that. You go to court, plead not guilty, then the court assigns you a court date, you don't choose one. The next court date it typically a pre-trial conference with the prosecuting attorney, and the cop doesn't need to be there. Then you decide if you will continue with your not guilty plea, and the court will contact the officer and assign you a court date.

You could request continuances until the matter is basically forgotten about, but seriously, that's a lot of work.

Just pay the ticket.

Doesn't work like that either in NY state. They don't forget about anything. If you reschedule more than twice, you pay fees upon fees for a new date until you come in. Just get an attorney to at least help reduce the points.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

In most states other cops are allowed to attend court to represent the cop who gave out the ticket. I would try to fight it, you never know. Usually you can cut a deal with the officer before going in front of the judge and plead guilty to a lesser charge, one that may have fewer points and a lesser fine. That would beat your insurance rates going sky high for 3 years and those points on your license.

He already dropped it from 84 in a 65 to a failure to obey traffic device.. I'm worried that going to court could get me screwed worse.. Just looking for the general consensus on this one.. Mostly worried about insurance rates. Not that worried about the one time ticket cost.

See if they off er any type of defferment program. Most Indiana counties offer the program. You pay a little extra, but if you don't get a ticket within a year, it won't go on your record.

A bonus is that most counties don't communicate violations, so you are only dinged if you get another ticket in the same county!

Not sure if this applies to NY.

Just pay it, depending on where you were, the fees won't be all that much and your insurance (assuming no other points) won't go up. I got caught about 6 years ago on the 390 with the same (failure to obey traffic control) and only cost 60 bucks (in Greece court).

When I was younger I got hit twice in a week in Buffalo NY for speeding. Luckily it was two different counties. The prosecutor at both counties gave me the choice to go to school, and turn the ticket into something else which I forget now that would not carry points but had the same money penalty. I payed they tickets, went to school, and never got points. I think this works in all of NY state.

GL

X

---

Just pay it, depending on where you were, the fees won't be all that much and your insurance (assuming no other points) won't go up. I got caught about 6 years ago on the 390 with the same (failure to obey traffic control) and only cost 60 bucks (in Greece court).

This was in Avon. About 1-2 miles before all the construction on 390 starts. It was a trooper tucked up behind an over pass.. Pretty sure a detector would have saved me in this instance. Some research indicates the ticket he gave me will add 2 points to my license.

If he already cut you a break, it'll be tough making up a reason why you weren't guilty for this. Plus, the points aren't that bad. I believe you need 11 to get your license taken away. If you said this was your first ticket in 10 years, you'll never hit 11 points anyway. It'd be a lot less hassle to just pay it.

I just got a ticket for "Unsafe start" because the cop claimed that I spun my tires pulling into traffic. I have an AWD 2.5i, that obviously didn't happen, but it's my reason for pleading not guilty.

Yes, it is a two point ticket, but my insurance didn't go up b/c of it (Geico). If you don't get many tickets, it's likely fine to pay it.

One word of caution though, in the smaller towns like Avon, the ticket price is probably going to be higher. It was cheap in Greece likely due to volume of speeders that they get revenue from. There may be less in Avon...

Archived