LegacyGT.com

Does my AC need to be recharged?

Its been gettin fairly hot here this week, around mid 80's and my AC in my car cant seem to keep up with it. Ive noticed in my work car the AC works great and I actually get cold and have to turn it down, not so much in my legacy.

I put a thermometer in my work car at that read 56 degrees. In my legacy its 62 degrees. Like I said the difference between the two cars is very noticable but I wouldnt think 6 degress would make a big difference. Anyways does my system need to be recharged? My legacy is an 05 with 50K miles on it, could the R134 in it just be going bad? If anyone knows how to drain the system and recharge it id appreciate some help. Thanks

The refrigerant doesn't go bad, it has probably leaked out somewhere in the system. After that many years it has probably developed a leak. Take it to a reputable mechanic and they can find and repair most leaks. Then they will properly charge the system.

I had my 08 compressor replaced under warranty over the winter. The day they replaced it it wasn't over 10f outside so the ambient temp was probably 60f or so inside their shop. When you charge a system and the ambient temp is low you can't (or it is harder) to get a proper charge. It can take a charge faster when the ambient is over 85f or so. I am having the dealer look at mine this weekend to properly adjust the amount of refrigerant in the system. Mine has only been able to get to 65-68 unless I am in the car for over 15 minutes. :mad: Then it finally gets colder.

I am used to large commercial refrigeration systems but alot of the same principals apply. I am sure some others will have more input, though. ;-)

sikopath

oh and another thing i forgot. You should run your ac often (not sure of the interval) even in the winter. The refrigerant contains oil that keeps the seals fresh. I run mine at least once a week all year round.

sikopath

Archived