LegacyGT.com

Could a MickeyD Spec B tune cause bad ignition coils?

BLACKeNeD

I uploaded the Mickey D Stage 1 map from the RR forums to my buddy's SpecB. It drove great, but then started bucking under boost a month later. He brought it to the Dealer and they changed the ignition coils. Could they have gone bad from the Tune or was it a coincidence?

My buddy wants the tune back on, but i told him I would pose the question here first.

thanks for the help

How did you put the tune on? Did you copy all the tables from one of his maps or spreadsheets to your buddies rom image? Which tune did you use? The only spec b specific one I've seen is the 08 stg1 and stg2, and then 06 spec b stg2 setup for a fmic.

How did you put the tune on? Did you copy all the tables from one of his maps or spreadsheets to your buddies rom image? Which tune did you use? The only spec b specific one I've seen is the 08 stg1 and stg2, and then 06 spec b stg2 setup for a fmic.

I used the 08 Stg1 tune. He has an 08 SpecB. I DL'd the file, opened it in ECUFlash and hit the "trial write" button, and then the "write to ECU" button. It drove fine for the first month and then the coils went, which were replaced by dealer.

They probably changed the coil packs (which hardly ever go bad) and reset the ECU. His new smoothness is likely a result of the reset ECU and not the coil packs.

No, it was smooth with the map and then started bucking when the coils went bad. Just not sure if the tune could have contributed to the coils.

No. What I'm saying is they misdiagnosed the coils and his roughness will come back.

So you think the reset of the ecu flash caused the smoothness, and the map caused the bucking? Should we even bother reflashing the same map?

I'm not saying it's the map either. It could be, I don't know. He may have an actual mechanical problem but I doubt it was the coil packs.

hmm...Well, i can only assume the dealership diagnosed the problem and came the the conclusion that it was an issue with the coil packs. he had a Cylinder 2 misfire code that I forgot to mention in my original post. Thanks for the info guys. With any luck it was just a coincidence with the coil packs going bad.

It was developed on mine and havanah joes cars. I'm in ny and I believe he is in ca.. There were definitely variations between his logs and my logs. I would definitely be logging it to make sure all is well. Any idea if he has 91 or 93 octane gas available?

both 91 and 93 are avail. He's looking for a cable so he could log himself, since it's hard for me to get in the car and log while he drives. I'll discuss this with him and figure out what the best option is. Thanks for the help guys. Much apreciated.

Archived