LegacyGT.com

Leaky Power Steering Pump

I had an unpleasant (to say the least) experience yesterday when I suddenly lost power steering assist at probably the worst possible time. I saw some fluid immediately under the pump so its safe to assume a leak. The reservoir was also at the cold low mark. I got it checked by the power steering folks (took it to a specialty shop) and my mechanic and both suspect its the "spout" feeding into and on top of the power steering pump. I think its the return hose, not sure. I'll post some pics.

They're suggesting that I replace the plastic spout with a stronger metal one. Problem is, I have no idea where to find it. Can anyone point me to a good online parts store? I checked a few with no luck.

And the sudden loss of assist? They attributed this to the pump inhaling air and locking up while at high RPM. When I came off the throttle I got back assist. I'm a noob, so I dunno if this makes any sense.

UPDATE: I eventually got on the phone with the dealer and he explained that I need to buy the whole pump just to get the measly spout. Mostly because its not assigned a part number in the catalog. I have some other folks checking elsewhere. Failing that, silicone it is. Conflict of opinion on that, trusty mechanic thinks that applying silicone there would be a bad idea due to risk of contamination. Not agreeing, because really, how much worse can it get? Secondly, I've seen silicone used on a transmission sump, no contamination there.

Sorry for double-posting, just an update for anyone who's interested. I didn't need to replace the pump, and the initial diagnosis of the spout was wrong. The pump was leaking from the front, and the root cause was a bunch of weak seals. The problem was solved with a complete tear down of the pump and replacing the seals. Good as new.

If the seals were blown I would suggest that you also take a look at the pressure regulator because if that fails to limit the pressure then you can blow them again.

All it takes is a small spec of dirt in the wrong place, so maybe a flush of the hydraulic fluid would be in place too.

453747.png

If the seals were blown I would suggest that you also take a look at the pressure regulator because if that fails to limit the pressure then you can blow them again.

All it takes is a small spec of dirt in the wrong place, so maybe a flush of the hydraulic fluid would be in place too.

Thanks man.

Archived