LegacyGT.com

Coilover Opinions

I have seen several threads comparing different types of lowering springs, but I plan to do a set of full coilovers when the time comes. My previous car (2000 Mitsu Eclipse V6) had a set of Tein Super Street Coils with pillowball mounts, and my dad's 1994 Mazda RX-7 has Tein Flex coilovers with pillowball mounts. I have enjoyed the Teins, although stiff at times, they make up for it in handling. I remember seeing threads similar to what I am trying to ask here on Club3G, with opinions such as JIC FLT-A2's are the hardcore coilover, Teins are still good and more reasonably priced, etc.

Can anyone give me the options for coilovers we have for the Legacy GT, a price range, and purpose (Street, Street/Track, Track only)?

I ideally want to find a streetable coilover that I could take to the track. I feel like the Teins were a good choice on my Eclipse, but I would like to see what other options are out there. Once again, I really only want to hear about true coilovers (Ground Control not included).

On the search for a new DD...

I've run Tein Flex for 3 years, every summer (swapping out stock in the winters). They've held up flawlessly at the track at Watkins Glen. I would definitely buy them again, especially at the price point that I got them at (1300 iirc, maybe less... been a while)

A few of us will def. recommend the RaceComp Engineering Tarmac1's. I have a set, and to attest to their streetability, a Subaru Master Tech did not know my car was running coilovers until he looked under the car after road testing it.

I've had BC/BR on for two summers now, I also switch to stock struts for winter to gain back the ride height. I really like the BC/BR for daily driving and autox. I've never done any track days with them but would like to. So far I've been very happy with the quality of them, especially since I paid less than $900 for them.

I've heard BC also makes the megans, but it seems the BC series are just made a little better, as I have heard people complain about megans.

So here is a question which I'm not sure was answered. What is the biggest differences between springs/struts and a coilover setup? Stiffness? Adjust ability? etc?

Winning the internet

I've run Tein Flex for 3 years, every summer (swapping out stock in the winters). They've held up flawlessly at the track at Watkins Glen. I would definitely buy them again, especially at the price point that I got them at (1300 iirc, maybe less... been a while)

wow.. that is a great price for the Flexes!!

I have had the Tein Flexes in my LGT for about a year and a half now, and I am happy with them. I daily drive the car and autocross it 6 to 8 times a season.

the racecomp tarmac1 is generally regarded to be one of the best street use coilovers for the legacy

tein flex, as this thread shows also has been positively received by many members. tein does not make the super street model for the legacy, i have the tein basics on my car and they're fine for DD application, i don't track my car so you'd probably want something stiffer if you wanted to. there are a few members running stance coilovers as well with success it seems.

i don't really know too much about BC racing, they seem like an economical choice

but one member had a set of Megan's explode and there have been other issues floating around so i think most people on this board have become pretty nervous about them but YMMV

had my Megans for 3months before the spring locks started getting lose, had to fix that time from time to time. Few more months later, the center shaft starting moving loosening up and moved and made a lot of noise in the front and rear. At the 7th month, one of the rear shock blew, started to leak fluid. Drove like that for a few more month before the other one blew. Ever since day 1 the dampening adjustment was weird. One of it will only go to 30 clicks while others did 32. Anyways, replaced with bilstein/RSR. Happy. If I was to ever get coilovers, I either go KW or Tein or maybe those new DG-5 coilovers. But never MR again. They are the rotas of coilovers. Wasted me 900 bucks.

Archived