LegacyGT.com

Where are all subarus made?

Hi all, This is my first post ever in this forum :) and thank to Tide, the group moderator, for helping to activate my account. Back to my first question. I own couple Hondas before, some are made in Japan and some are made in here, US (and you can distinguish them based on the VIN number). Someone told me that the Japan made is better than other countries eventhough they have the same design. I'm not sure it's true but feel better owning one from Japan. Is this the same case for Subaru? or they're all made from the same country? Thanks!

Impreza's and Foresters are made in Japan. Legacy's, Outbacks and Baja's are made in Lafayette, Indiana. At least the 2005 GT Wagon I just brought home has an "Assembled in Indiana" sticker on one of the windows. :wink: There was a JD Power survey where it was found that the USofA built cars were a bit better. I can't remember if it was just in initial quality or over the long run. Sorry no linky. Cheers! -Ian

Goneskiian is correct on this. For info on SIA (the plany in Lafayette), look here [url=http://www.subaru-sia.com]SIA Site[/url]. I've been by the plant once already, it's rather large and is a fairly modern plant being that it was built in the last 2 decades.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Drift Monkey looks at B4_Maniac, pouting on the ground because it isn't made in Japan. :lol:[/quote] It was just a minor pout... But, yes..it was definatly shocking to find out. Pout..Pout.. :lol:

I'm not shocked a bit since a lot of Japanese and European makes have factories in the US and have for years. Not one bit of a surprise. Then again, I have been into Subarus for about the past 4-5 years now, heavily in the forums for the past two, so it takes a bit to suprise me (other than what Drift Monkey is gong to say next.) ;)

[quote name='SUBE555']I'm not shocked a bit since a lot of Japanese and European makes have factories in the US and have for years. Not one bit of a surprise.[/quote] Actually, you want these cars to be assembled locally simply because it drives the cost of the car down; lower transportation costs, no duty, etc.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='TeeLoo'][quote name='SUBE555']I'm not shocked a bit since a lot of Japanese and European makes have factories in the US and have for years. Not one bit of a surprise.[/quote] Actually, you want these cars to be assembled locally simply because it drives the cost of the car down; lower transportation costs, no duty, etc.[/quote] And I'm sure labour costs are similar between Japan and the US.

Actually, Japan may be higher, but as TeeLoo said, its a number of things, including greater shipping costs, the more hands that have to move the cars, and on and on. It adds up. Makes you wonder if an Impreza or Forester would be $1k less (give/take) if it was built here?

I had an idea that some Subaru vehicles were being built in the states as well as their partnership W/ Isuzu, but I had no idea they took over controll in 03'. Thanks SUBIE555 for the link. P.S. Is their any truth to the rumor that Subaru is in a partnership W/ GM?

[quote name='labowbow']As long as they are not made in Mexico or Canada. USA made cars have higher quality than Mexico or Canada made/assembled cars. Just my thoughts[/quote] I'm assuming you are very knowledgeable about how car plants operate all over North America to make such strong statements. Or maybe you owned hundreds of different cars assembled in US, Canada and Mexico and were then able to draw such a fair opinion.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='subey25rs777']I had an idea that some Subaru vehicles were being built in the states as well as their partnership W/ Isuzu, but I had no idea they took over controll in 03'. Thanks SUBIE555 for the link. P.S. Is their any truth to the rumor that Subaru is in a partnership W/ GM?[/quote] GM owns shares of Fuji Heavy Industries so yes, they have a "partnership" if you will. Hence Saabaru...

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='subey25rs777']I had an idea that some Subaru vehicles were being built in the states as well as their partnership W/ Isuzu, but I had no idea they took over controll in 03'. Thanks SUBIE555 for the link. P.S. Is their any truth to the rumor that Subaru is in a partnership W/ GM?[/quote] GM owns shares of Fuji Heavy Industries so yes, they have a "partnership" if you will. Hence Saabaru...[/quote] I believe it's only a 10% stake which no doubt opened the door to discussing the idea but wouldn't have been a case of "we need to use your Imprezza platform for a small Saab we have planned".

20% non-voting stake in FHI I believe, Subaru's parent company. Subaru mostly uses the relationship from what I hear for leverage with parts vendors. Look at the Saab relationship this way, it's more revenue for Subaru, but they don't have to worry about how many Saabs they sell, GM can just order what they need I'd imagine and GM worries about getting them sold off the lots. That's my take. More revenue for R&D in things they wouldn't have been able to look into before.

Archived