LegacyGT.com

Snell helmet designation for track/autocross

peteyjr

I've been borrowing helmets lately and got tired of it. So I bought a bell open face helmet for a good price . It is similar to one I used to have when I tracked and autocrossed a BMW a few years back . I noticed there are two snell designations 2000 and 2005 . What is the current requirement for autocross and track day events? my new one says snell 2000 but I want to make sure it passes at the next tech in.

Typically, for track days the requirement is that it must be either the latest designation or the previous one, so right now 2005 or 2000 will pass. As soon as the 2010 comes out then the 2000 will no longer be current enough. The requirements may be more lenient for autocross due to lower max speeds reached.

I think that many sanctioning bodies take the current plus the past 2 Snell certs, meaning that for now, a snell -95 or -2000 will still work. As of the release of the 2010 rated helmets (the actualr requirements have been released, IIRC), the -95 will no longer work.

per SCCA, next year SNELL 2000 will be obsolete and you must have SNELL 2010 or 2005. Most of the clubs up here adopt their rules for the helmets, so both mine and my husband's are 2000. so that means new helmets for next year.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived