LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy GT or 2000 Legacy GT?

Ok, so I'm looking for a Legacy whether it be a GT/Wagon/Sedan. My price range is $5k max so I don't expect the car to be in perfect condition, it HAS to be a 5-speed, and needs to have 4 doors.

But straight to the point, here are two cars that have perked my interest:

1. 1997 Legacy GT

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1247702918.html

Test drove the car and the clutch hasn't even been broken in yet because it is so new. Has new brakes all the way around, just had the head gaskets done, fuel injectors replaced, and a tune up done. All of that was done within the past 3 months. It needs to have 3 primer patches on it painted, needs a new wheel, needs a d/f cv axle, some missing interior cosmetics (like handle on driver seat lever), definitely needs new steering wheel, needs tires on day of purchase, and needs to be cleaned like no tomorrow (filthy everywhere). Also for some reason the shifter was just flopping around all over the place when not in gear, could this be a bad fork lever or what?

2. 2000 Legacy GT Wagon

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1251876139.html

Looks pretty good, a little more than I want to spend but is it worth it to buy a 2000 over a 1997?

What are things to be on the lookout for on these years? Should I offer less than they are asking? For the first one I was thinking $2,500 just because it needs quite a bit and on the 2000 I was going to offer $5,000 because KBB lists it at $5,500.

plus idk which one to get :spin:

the '97 is my favorite color and it looks awesome but the '00 looks to be in really good condition :confused:

where is the oem rim on the 97!? i have a 97 and i love it but i would never have gotten a sedan. i'm thinking im gonna need a new transmission (i have 171k miles) but other than that all i have done is hg, timing belt, and valve gasket covers.

the oem rim was destroyed when it got hit by a car...I ended up getting the 2000 Legacy GT wagon :)

it needs new paint job though :(, lots of pigeon/chicken feet all over the car, mainly the hood and the front bumper are the worst. I don't think they ever once waxed the car. I had it buffed and polished and it is super shiny now, it is black with red metallic flakes, looks pretty good other than the hood and bumper. Just got through changing the brake fluid, clutch fluid, switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil with some Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer, and a coolant flush. Made a night and day difference in the way the car drives :). Next weekend I'm going to put HID lights in, change out the trans and diffs with Royal Purple oil, and probably do some more interior cleaning :)

Archived