LegacyGT.com

Cracks in the dashboard

fishbone

Read on and make sure you DON'T do what I did.

So about once every 2 months or so I treat my dash with 303 Aerospace Protectant, which is a top notch detailing solution from what I can tell and was told. It leaves little to no residue behind, just shiny plastic that actually repells dust instead of attracting it and supposebly also protects against UV rays.

Yesterday when I was cleaning my interior I had the VERY unpleasant surprise of finding two half-inch cracks right at the top of where the dash arches for the gauges. I simply could not figure out why it would happen and why at that particular spot, when it hit me ... Sometimes on hot summer days when the dash gets nice and soft, I like to touch it by pressing my finger on it to feel the soft touch because I am an Eurosnob which enjoys nice interiors. No, I don't jab my fingers in the damn thing, I just kinda press on it. Well, apparently the dash material is brittle enough that if you do this more than, oh, five times, it cracks. So now I gotta do my best to get some glue in them cracks and make them disappear.

Refrain from touching your dash in any manner other than dusting/polishing it.

It's not the 303, because

303 contains no petrochemicals, silicone oils or petroleum distillates. 303 is not a build-up product. 303 treated surfaces dissipate heat normally.

which is precisely why the stuff is so great and expensive :)

You should try it.

Archived