LegacyGT.com

check engine idiot light

hey, i have a silver 05 lgt limited.today after driving all day i went to go to the store and the CEL came on.thn i checked the gas cap because i got it early and i took it off and clicked it(like usual), i shut it off then turned it back on and it was still on and the cruise light started flashing and wouldnt shut off.i read all the other post about the CEL. the car is completely stock with 35k miles.who has had this fixed and what was the problem.? just a f'd up code or messed up gas cap, modual, o2 sensor, maf sensor?

also its slap stick not MT and when i downshift it sounds like the gears are being banged.this normal? i never noticed it before :spin::spin:

thanks for any help!

You need to get the codes read. Can't do much without that. I know some car parts places (Autozone..) will read your codes for free. With that information you figure out what the problem is without second guessing.

Disconnecting the battery will not clear the codes on an OBDII system. Go down to your local AutoZone or Advance Auto and they can read the code for you. Most common it seems from reading stuff on this forum is the P0011 and the P0012. Cam Position sensor, Timing over advanced bank 1. Dirty oil can also trigger this code. Are you due for an oil change? ...but guessing is not an option. Go get the codes read. They do it for free. If you linger, the next thing to go will be the turbo. I speak from experience, sad to say:redface:.

From what I hear Autozone doesn't read codes anymore bummer.

They still do but they are not allowed to clear the codes, some stoopid law, but you can take advantage of their loaner program. You pay for the scanner, do your thing then return it for a full refund. All the stores should have a loaner scanner.

Mine did the same thing before I bought it during the test drive... except for the gear grinding noise thing... Eventually the dealership fixed it before I bought it. They said it was the battery on mine, which makes no sense to me. I don't exactly know what they did, but they did fix it. Your car should still be under warranty at that mileage, so it would probably be a good idea to take it in and have it looked at because you could still get it fixed for free under warranty with them.

Archived