LegacyGT.com

4EAT fluid change and servicing questions

Salle071

Hello,

I got an 06' 2.5i with the above, it is now at 148,000km, apparently it was regularly serviced at Sub dealer prior to my ownership. I am still trying to get detailed info about prior servicing. Dealer wants big money for "full service" on transmission. Plain drain and fill does not drain all of the oil, right? How about oil change places, they use tranny coolant lines to flush through and replace all of the fluid? What exactly does the dealership do? Front and rear diff seem simple enough from info that I have. I am not against proper servicing, just want to avoid unnecessary big cost for something that may be done other ways. Any suggestions? Thanks.

A drain and fill will only partially replace the fluid, whereas a flush will replace the entire thing. It is highly recommended to stick with Subaru OEM (Idemitsu) 4EAT ATF instead of just going out there and dumping whatever bargain ATF/service you find. Using the wrong ATF will cause the tranny to slip and in the long run cause irreversible damage. The problem is that if you take it to a regular shop and ask them to use OEM ATF, they will have to use extra fluid in order to do a proper flush, so it would actually end up being cheaper at your dealer. If you want to go the cheap route, you could do repeated drain and refills in a relatively short interval over the span of 2000 km or so. It is as easy to do as oil changes, so if you're comfortable with that, you should have no issues there.

I figure it might be the best to have dealer do the flush. It cost $90 plus cost of filter at the dealer to have this done. I will do the other fluids, air filter, plugs etc. Dealer wants 4.5 hours for the 148k service NOT including the ATF flush ($590 maybe more depending on what they find on inspection). This car is only three years old, higher mileage, but 98% highway driving, which is probably the easiest on the car.

Archived