LegacyGT.com

09 Driver Door Handle "Failure"

The last 2 days (which have been quite hot), my driver side door will not open from the outside. After going through a bunch of checks, I can confirm that:

- It's not the lock (lock is fully dis-engaging when I click unlock)

- It's not suction (I can easily open the other 3 doors, and can open the driver door from the inside)

- It's only when it's been sitting in the sun all day (mornings in the garage are not an issue)

Has anyone else had this sort of issue? I have a concern that since the failure is in-consistent, that it's pretty much guaranteed to not repeat itself at the dealer when I take it in to get it fixed. If someone has some thoughts on what could be wrong, it'd at least give me some place to start when I take it in.

Thanks,

Squid

heh, before I purchased my 09, the salesman could not open the driver's side door! I had to open it from the passenger side (hello discount).

They replaced the handle and the mechanism to open the door before I purchased my pride and joy. Now I do not have the issue with my car. :o) I'd take it to the stealership anyways and who knows! It might happen to them as well! Just try to do it on a very hot day and park the car in the sun. It should raise the chances of the issue happening to them as well.

I just bought my 09 in May and I've been noticing that my driver side door handle is starting to act up. Usually I notice it when I'm heading out to lunch or heading home from work. It's starting to get hot out here (high 80's/low 90's) so I'll have to keep an eye on how it reacts to the heat.

It feels like it sticks and doesn't want to pull up without a little extra force. I'm not sure if something is 'catching' with the mechanism or if it's something else?

It hasn't complete stopped opening the door but I'm wondering if you felt anything weird leading up to the handle not working? I'll probably let the dealer look at it when I go in for the first oil change.

Robert

Haha - don't worry, I plan to take it in. I've just dealt with enough dealership mechanics to know that they typically won't take any action unless they can repeat the problem. If this was something "common", or a known issue, I wouldn't be concerned about getting proper dealership response.

In terms of any issues leading up to the problem - no, not really. I do have the extra "catch" feel that you are talking about, but in the instances where it sticks, you never get to that catch point - the handle is fully extended before it does that pop.

I'm taking it in next week - I'll let you know if they fix it or not.

Squid

• 4 weeks later...

As I originally feared, when I took in the car, the technician couldn't find anything wrong. However, since the car was brand new (I got it in April), they reluctantly replaced the entire handle for me. And I must say, it feels much better now. There was clearly something wrong with the original.

So the moral of the story: keep pushing them, and eventually they will replace the handle, which appears to correct the issue.

Squid

I took my car to the shop today. All of the service managers were in a meeting but the cashier said she could help me. After i told her my door handle was sticking she said one minute. The service manager I usually deal with was out there in under a minute, opened the door once and said this is the second one today. We will order the part out and paint it for you. Will call when ready to install. I was at shop less then five minutes.

goducks

Archived