LegacyGT.com

Engine cover, finding heat resistant foam

mightyS

I just trimmed my engine cover so it fits the AVO TMIC. The cover has some heat resistant foam that touches the IC. After trimming, there is a opening at the back of the IC and the cover. I'd like to seal it by attaching some heat resistant foam. Where could I find foam that won't melt? I tried a NAPA store and they were clueless.

Do a search. There is a thread on how to add a rubber strip. I printed it out and filed it, somewhere:lol:. If you can't find the thread, let me know.:)

Look under Perrin TMIC.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I found this post about using aluminum to make a tighter fit for the engine cover.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101673&highlight=TMIC+fix

I have the AVO and not the Perrin and I do have the problem with the baffle under the scoop touching the IC directly and sealing off the last top inch of the IC!!! I have a 1 cm by 10.5 inch long gap between the top back of the IC and the plastic engine cover. It looks like one (caramall2) used weather stripping to seal it. My concern is that the weather stripping would melt. The IC is cold while the car is moving but heats up when the car sits.

Is there anything like weather stripping made for the heat of the engine bay?

Good news, I think I found a source for some high temp foam. As long as you don't mind cutting it yourself, I may try to grab a bunch of it. mightyS, would you (or anyone else for that matter) be interested in some if I get some extra?

Yep, I'm interested. I looked at some weather stripping foam yesterday. It was the right size, but I bet it would melt in the engine bay. This foam must exist since Subaru uses it on the engine cover.

Yep, I'm interested. I looked at some weather stripping foam yesterday. It was the right size, but I bet it would melt in the engine bay. This foam must exist since Subaru uses it on the engine cover.

I'm gonna try and get some measurements tomorrow and talk to this guy on another forum about getting some of this foam. You will have to cut it and use some high temp adhesive to put it on the cover.

Yes the engine cover can be removed without causing any problems. It is not needed at all, its purely to clean up the engine bay so you don't see alot of wires and tubing. If you look through the pictures thread you should see some people that have taken their's off to fit tubing for larger intercooler's and what not.

I still don't know if the engine cover is needed or not. The lower half is just for looks. The upper half with the hole for the intercooler might be needed. It makes a seal around the IC to direct air through. You can see the marks on the cover made by the rubber baffle from the hood scoop showing that it seals.

I had an AVO TMIC installed about 2 weeks ago and have been running without the cover. After 10 minutes of driving, the IC was cold in the center and the right side and a bit warm on the left end tank that sits over the turbo. Air seems to be getting to the IC without the cover.

The new WRX looks like it has the same IC as the Legacy and it doesn't have a engine cover. It does have longer baffles that seal down to the IC.

I checked how the hood scoop connects to the AVO TMIC with and without the engine cover using a flashlight to look inside. The back part of the baffles touches the IC in the back and cuts off the last row of fins. I replaced the trimmed engine cover and the baffles still touch the IC. They can't reach the back plastic strip of the cover after it was trimmed. The bigger IC is not fully utilized. I think everyone with a bigger TMIC needs this modification:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showt...light=TMIC+fix

Without the engine cover, there is a good sized gap between the side baffles and the IC. The center splitter and the back baffle do direct air downward to the IC and help force air thought. I think more air will be forced though with the engine cover on with additional foam to block any gaps.

• 2 weeks later...
I found some heat resistant foam that worked! The local auto parts stores were clueless and didn't even look in their catalogues to help me find something. I tried Ace hardwear and bought black open cell foam strip insulation. It came in a roll of foam tape with adhesive on 1 side. It claimed to be 100% rubber. Since it was black it had to be vulcanized like a car tire. It has held up to the heat fine. I'm not sure how long it will stick to the engine cover once it gets wet with rain water. The cover now fits tight against the intercooler to help direct the air through it. I'll take some pictures this weekend.

Archived