LegacyGT.com

Clutch questions

turboman38

I got my new clutch installed this weekend. Went with the ACT full face clutch kit and the WRX flywheel. Install went well but I have a "squeaking" noise coming from the clutch (I'm guessing the throw out bearing). The noise only occurrs when the clutch pedal is at rest or all the way out. If I push the clutch pedal in just a little bit (around an inch) the noise goes away. Sounds like a bearing noise. My friend who helped me (More like I helped him) with the install said I might need to adjust the clutch pedal since the WRX flywheel isn't as thick as the stock LGT flywheel.

Anybody have any thing like this happen? Will the noise eventually go away? Am I going to break something by driving the car?

Car runs good and the clutch feels good. I am trying to take it easy...not to say I don't step on at after the clutch is completely engaged. No hard launches and no dumping the clutch for 500 miles.

Thats more of a clicking/grinding noise really, and only when the gear is engaged while coasting.

What it "might" be... Not sure if you did the install or a shop, but it could be that the clutch fork was not lubricated properly? That would cause squeaking noises.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Thats more of a clicking/grinding noise really, and only when the gear is engaged while coasting.

What it "might" be... Not sure if you did the install or a shop, but it could be that the clutch fork was not lubricated properly? That would cause squeaking noises.

i was referring specifically to this:

I have heard of at least 4 other people that have had the TOB squeal issue with the SPEC clutch packs. It's nothing major and won't damage anything. It may even work it's self out during the normal break-in period if you let it. It's just a matter of the clutch fork travel being off by a hairs width and could be quieted completely with the force applied by a pinky on the clutch fork. Again, this is standard and expected on STI's as they have a heavier clutch with a return spring on the fork from the factory.

It cost about $7 in parts and took me about 20 minutes to make the bracket and install the spring and I haven't had to touch it since. I really wouldn't call it a "defect", but more of a necessary adjustment when changing to an aftermarket performance clutch. As for the TOB; I would still recommmend/use the one that comes in the kit. Also, I don't see any reason to change forks and risk having to take the tranny back out if it doesn't work correctly at least my method is adjustable, quick and easy. At most I might try to drill a hole in the original clutch fork while it's out.

there were a few other people in other threads also referring to adding a spring for a squealing/squeaking.

here's another:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91377

I just installed an ACT HD clutch and 06' WRX FW. Everything went fine until I started the experience some TOB squeal. Typical symptoms where it is fine with the clutch in and squeals like a pig when engaged. Very annoying. I have no idea if it is dangerous, thank god for this forum because I was about to drop the tranny again and replace the bearing and inspect the fork.

After messing with the method outlined in post 10 here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...light=tob+fork I found that a slightly different approach quieted my system down. I only drove it around the block so I will let you know how it holds up. Feel free to post some pics of your install if you have a better way.

Archived