LegacyGT.com

Minor Issue with Perrin STS 6MT

BigNYDog3

I installed the Perrin Short Throw and the reverse lock out cable on my 08 Spec B is too long. I was able to zip tie it to work but it doesn't hold. Anyone have this problem? Any ideas how to fix it? Right now it just doesn't lock out, I have free movement to all gears and if I pull up the lever then it will lock it out so I just pull it when I go into 5th and 6th. Also the shift boot plastic top doesn't have anything to screw into to hold it up. I tried to search but it doesn't seem like anyone has the Perrin one. Thanks for the help

I just bought the kit and when I read the instructions it says will NOT work with spec B without extra special parts. I emailed perrin and they told me I need to buy more parts to make it work.

WTF

Why would they sell a kit that doesn't work and needs more parts?

I will probably have the same problem that you are having.

Minor update, to use it we need the STi lock out cable that replaces the existing one and we need a plastic boot holder for the shift boot. Waiting to hear back from Perrin to see if they have them in stock and how much they are, will keep u posted

It cost me $50 plus $16 for 2nd day air, cable and boot holder, he said it was just sittin around the shop brand new and that no one ever calls about it so try calling chris at perrin, good luck, I will let you know when I get them and if it actually fixes it

Ya thanks, really not looking forward to rerunning the cable with the new one, luckily the car has only like 5k miles on it so everything is still new and hopefully easier to change out

Ok so I got the cable and boot holder this morning and put them in tonight, works great now, no problems. I bought the STS on ebay for $120 because I bought the inlet hose, pulley and boost solenoid at the same time so he gave me a deal and the STS came with the new bushings also so the $50 just brought it up to what I should have paid so it was worth it for me. Pretty straight forward cable change out and the boot holder screwed into the shifter so its nice and sturdy now. If I had to do it again and pay retail for it then I wouldn't go with perrin, atleast not for the SpecB 6MT. Hope this helps people decide on which route to go with the STS

Its pretty solid actually, the bushings made a big difference and I like the ability to set it where I want it so it doesn't feel like there are huge gaps between gears. I used to have to move my whole arm to shift it and now its more just my wrist because they are nice and close

Archived