LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket speakers on stock CD player?

dparm

Recently drove an LGT but was a bit disappointed with the stereo. Is anyone running aftermarket speakers (components) on the stock headunit? I will be yanking my Polk db6501 components from my current car if I end up with an LGT and would be curious if it's even worth it.

It is best to run some power to them(amp). I had some type s coaxial for a while hooked up to the stock head unit,...........and was not as good as the stock speakers.

Since then, i did rf 360.1, type r components, and an amp, and love it.

If i were you, i would keep the stock speakers until you want to do a full set up.

You can expect an increase in sound quality, but a decrease in overall volume, as your polks are probably less efficient.

Yes, thats what i meant to say. Stocks are not better, but give you more volume.

Impedance and efficiency (which is called Sensitivity and commonly measured in decibels produced with one watt of power, one meter from the driver) are completely different things. Many manufacturers make the same model and size subwoofer available in different impedances. Often there is little or no change in sensitivity among them.

That's not say lower impedance can not be part of recipe for higher sensitivity, but there's no hard and fast rule as speaker specs are all dependant and interrelated. One thing that is certain about a lower impedence speaker is that will draw more power for an amp, provided that the amp can handle it.

Low impedance speakers are not completely uncommon on factory systems, especially premiums ones like Bose. The majority of basic systems do utilize 4 ohm speakers and would have issues with lower impedance.

Power handling and sensitivity often are interrelated in that speakers designed for high power handling often sacrifice sensitivity by using stronger and more durable materials. Conversely highly efficient factory speakers are made from lighter weight less durable materials. An aftermarket speaker may be -3db at 10 watts when compared to the stock speakers, but at 50 watts the aftermarket speakers would be more than 4 times louder and the stockers would be destroyed.

When you are talking about components, the crossover networks also eat some power, the more complex and sophisticated the crossover is, the more power it takes.

Replace the factory radio, I replaced mine and have no need to replace the speakers, plus now i can listen to my ipod. search the JDM conversion in Interior audio. it will be on the 1st page

Archived