LegacyGT.com

Is it ever okay to reuse transmission fluid?

UniqueTII

I know this is a dumb question but I have to ask. I need to drop my transmission to check out a throwout bearing squeal and I'm not a fan of tossing out Motul fluid that has about 1200 miles on it. Is it possible to filter/reuse it or am I just going to have to waste it?

Yes, you'll need to drain it to drop it. Otherwise it will drain itself when you pull the axles and driveshaft and the fluid will be a little harder to reuse then :lol:

I don't see why you couldn't reuse the trans fluid. It's just kind of a 'principal' thing... if you're going to drain it you might as well put new fluid in. Especially in this case when some new Redline fluid is about 40 bucks shipped from Summit. Kind of along the same lines of if you're going to drop the trans you might as well put a new clutch in. However, you could get away with not doing it if you're on a tight budget.

Good luck with inspecting the TOB. Mine completely disintegrated after making some pretty awful noise for about 1500 miles (pics here). It grooved the trans snout but I put in a TSK (along with new clutch) and everything is much better and SO much quieter.

My TOB is an ACT that was just installed a few weeks ago when I had my transmission rebuilt. It's been squealing since shortly after I picked the car up so hopefully it hasn't damaged anything else.

I have a new bearing for it (because Jeremy at Fred Beans kicks ass) so I'm hoping that this problem doesn't return.

Nice.

I will definitely do that, as a lack of grease is one of the suspects for the squeal. What needs to be greased altogether?

:lol: I couldn't resist

You just need to grease the contact points on the clutch fork (both sides of the 'bottom' where it touches the TOB, pivot point in the 'middle', and the 'end' where the rod from the slave cylinder pushes) and the inside of the TOB where it slides over/around the transmission snout.

Archived