LegacyGT.com

Plug and Play Aux in for 2000 6CD radio?

Hey peoples,

Anyone know of a way to get an AUX in into the OEM radio of the 2000 legacy GT?

I have looked everywhere short of actually opening up the dash to look at the back of the stereo - is there any way to get reliable aux in?

Basically, I just want a good clean signal from my ipod.

Lemme know,

Chitty

Does it look like this...

1254919225_2000OutbackP120radioWBtapeCD.jpg.ae8dd676c10d01b3cd660b5dae5dbfad.jpg

(click for larger image)

That's a model P120

On radios with the separate CD deck, you can tap into the wires between that and the AM/FM/tape unit, and connect your iPod signal in place of the CD. You'll probably need to play a CD to "trick" the deck into switching to the CD input (people usually burn a CD-R with 60 minutes of silence).

Here's a how-to from a 2000 Outback owner:

I've asked him what model radio he has, but bet it's the same as yours.

Either way, can you post a picture of the front of yours (along with the back and the label on top, once you take it out).

Hey SVXdc, this is what the radio looks like - I have not taken it out yet but when I do I will be sure to post an image.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing the other pics.

Yours does look the same as the P120, except the latter has Weather band. Your CD deck is a 6-disc vs. the 1-disc in the picture I posted.

But in any case, I think you'd still be able to use the same hack as in that thread on subaruoutback.org.

also... another slightly off topic but radio question - it seems that when I hit the rear defrost while the radio is on, the radio becomes static... Do you have any idea why? Is the antenna integrated into rear window?

The antenna is a separate foil on the rear glass. Other people have had a similar problem. One cause can be a bad ground somewhere in the rear. Search and you'll find threads that talk about this (either here or on other Subaru forums).

Archived