LegacyGT.com

Rattles and Fixes

Hello All:

My 2005 LGT wagon has recently developed a few rattles. So far I have located and fixed them but finding them required having someone ride around with me and put their ear hear and there while I drive over a bumpy road (probably not advisable to try to do this yourself while driving). This process was irritating and did not increase my love of my (otherwise excellent) LGT. That process got me to thinking about starting this thread where we might all post our rattles and fixes in one place that would be easy to locate with a forum search.

Here are the rattles I have recently dealt with:

1. Emergency brake lever. My fix, perhaps not ideal, was to slide a small piece of cardboard down between the button and the handle. Be careful that whatever you use does not interfere with the function of the button (e.g. preventing it from catching). Probably should replace the whole lever assembly but my car is out of warranty and I don't really want to pay for it.

2. The plastic cover under the dash on the passenger side. This cover is held in place with plastic push screws (push rivets? not sure what to call these things). I used closed cell neoprene tape (Armaflex) to pad all the contacting surfaces and that seems to be working.

3. The cover on the passenger side end of the dash. Padded this with several layers of the Armaflex tape so that the the door would apply pressure to keep the cover from rattling.

I still hear a sublte rattle once in a while and will probably recruite my wife to help me locate it. On the other hand, if some of you post your rattles and fixes here perhaps I could quickly determine if one of those is the cause of what I am hearing. So, how about it? Rattles? Fixes?

I did read one thread indicating that a major dash removal and reinstallation was required for some rattles was required. Others commented that this "fix" caused more problems that it solved, so perhaps there are more clever and non-invasive ways to deal with the dash rattle.

Thanks,

Jim

Archived