LegacyGT.com

Strange noise/problem

ShockerGT

Well last Friday I had an ACT HDMM + WRX fly installed and ever since then I get a very strange noise when I am coasting while in gear. I notice it in 4th and 5th gears more than anyother ones, but have also heard it in 3rd. I'd say it almost sounds like something is rubbing/rattling.

I've been primarily in the 2-3k rpm range and that's when I hear it. With a little bit of throttle you can't hear it, but one I let off the throttle completely that's when the noise occurs.

If the noise is present and I disengage the clutch or throw it in neutral, the noise stops.

I can't really hear it with the windows down, only with the windows up. Sometimes the noise is loud, sometimes you can't even hear it.

Any suggestions on what it could be? I've put about 180 easy miles on the new clutch. I'll post up a video tomorrow.

Edit: I forgot to add. I do not feel any vibration through the pedals, nor the floor board.

I just got the ACT Fly wheel and the 6 puck done today and finding the same issue.

What a timing!

I'm just wondering if the clutch is holding the flywheel tighter causing the tranny sound to travel more?!

Not too sure but would like to hear from someone that might have an experience with the tranny.

BTW, are you 6MT?

Well, I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one with this noise. Hopefully it's something normal with the break in period and goes away after a certain amount of miles, even though the noise sounds like something is about to break.

It's been quite a while since I've driven a car with a single mass flywheel, but I've never heard this kind of noise.

BTW, are you 6MT?

5MT sir.

Interesting.

I guess we have to wait for someone to chime in.

I practically only have about 30 miles on it so I really can't say what's what.

Thought it was the tranny oil so I looked in to it and the level was perfectly fine.

hmm.......

• 4 weeks later...

Same noise here after my ACT clutch/pressure plate/WRX FW install. Aside from a light clutch chatter sound when coasting, there's an occasional rattle sound like pebbles tightly packed in a metal box being shaken rapidly. Mine occurs primarily in 4th gear (and somewhat in 3rd and 5th), coming down from 4k to 2k rpm.

EDIT: Better description of the sound: It sounds like a boat propeller cavitating.

Archived