LegacyGT.com

SoD merges with SoP

Bankheist

Last week on Nasioc, news broke about SoD closing... so I decided to investigate further. When I first heard about this last week, I thought, "well not too surprised, that place has always been so small to operate efficiently." I called up the owner to get the skinny on it all and see what was going on.

No surprise, over the past 12 months, the car business, like just about everyone else has endured record high energy prices, frozen credit and finance markets, a record low level of consumer confidence, all contributing to the worst car sales drop ever on record. Chrysler and GM went bankrupt.

Even Toyota recorded its first loss in 50 years. Fortunately, Subaru sales dropped the least, but still has everyone thinking lean.

SoD secured a tremendous real estate offer on the land from their neighbor, the Aston Martin & Honda store for expansion.

SoD's location was always constricted on space for a dealership doing any kind of volume. By the time I left in 2006, it was already far beyond stretched in its capacities and could not serve its customers adquately.

It was way too good of a deal to pass up so management decided to consolidate SoD's assets and merge with SoP. I think this is a better way for them to focus on their core strengths with SoP.

The neighborhood around the dealership has evolved more towards high-end lines and exotic brands like Aston Martin and Rolls Royce. They looked sort of out of place. I've been told that there will be another Subaru of Dallas in the near future, but in a different location and new format, probably a more modern look and feel.

Just thought I'd get the message out there about what's going on

-Kevin

Archived