LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Leak / Boost Leak? (Video Inside)

I've got an odd noise that I noticed started happening on my way home from the last HPDE that I went to. I thought it might be an exhaust leak, but I don't see any obvious signs (soot) on the exhaust manifold or up-pipe. I also checked the blue T thinking it could be a boost leak and didn't find anything disconnected.

The symptoms are only a whistling type of noise that only happens under boost (which is why I was thinking boost leak); however there's no loss in power and boost is at typical levels. Vacuum is ~20Hg at idle. Car seems to run normally other than the noise.

Here's a video of the noise that I took this morning. You can hear it start at 6 seconds in, then I let off and get back on the gas. You can hear it again at 9 seconds when I'm on the gas again.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l5VAxiIick]YouTube - Exhaust Leak?[/ame]

Any ideas?

I had a similar noise, it was the UP to header leak. It was a very minor leak that couldn't be heard under normal driving. I replaced the gasket with a double thick gasket from Grimspeed. Cleared it right up. I had no signs of soot at the leak until I pulled out the old gasket.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just to follow up, the problem was that a bunch of bolts had backed out of the downpipe to turbo mounting flange. Odd because it was the stock setup... not sure what would have caused them to back out and become loose (or disappear altogether as was the case with one stud)

Anyway, the fix was to put in the new downpipe. Problem solved!

Archived