LegacyGT.com

Funny thing about my MPG today...

My trip MPG has been on 18 all weekend. I drove around on Saturday and didn't use the car yesterday. Then I went to and from work today. It has been on 18.0 since I pulled into the garage on Friday night. Is that weird? I haven't seen any fluctuation at all. Not even a .1 or anything. Usually on the trip to and from work I'll see it go up and down. I even launched at a stop light this morning and it didn't do anything. Could it be stuck somehow?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

/off topic= how accurate is youre computer vs. what you actually get at the pump?

mines been really accurate the past 2 fillups (within .5 mpg)

anyhow, /on topic

what trip computer is your odometer set to? maybe you haven't cleared in a while and its averaging your MPG over more miles than you are expecting - lessening the effect of how much a launch might change your overall average.

Everything is set correctly. I'm on trip counter A and milage counter A. For some reason it just stopped changing. I can't believe that I have kept a steady 18 mpg for two whole days of city driving. That is just unusal for the 4 weeks that I've had the car. I guess I shouldn't be complaining. I still hope it goes up even further.

OCDETAILS BLOG

OCD..how many miles do you have on trip A??

I figured that out this morning. I am at the bottom of my tank. With a more alert brain today I realized that it will change much slower when it has more miles to average the fuel economy with. Duh... lol

OCDETAILS BLOG

I figured that out this morning. I am at the bottom of my tank. With a more alert brain today I realized that it will change much slower when it has more miles to average the fuel economy with. Duh... lol

Rgr that. Sometimes i like to clear my trip OD and set the cruise on at about 27 mph in 5th and just watch in wonder as i get wonderful gas mileage...of course that lasts for about 3 miles before i drop it into 2nd and floor it :)

Seriously, it could be based on your overall average if it hasn't been reset at all. This would mean that regardless of the number of hard takeoffs, it wouldnt reset unless your doing about 10 or more a day. I wouldnt be too worried about it. Reset the information and you should be able to watch yr MPG climb.

Let us know how you go once reset.

Adam.

I think I'm still breaking it in. Even on the highway I don't seem to be getting better than 23-24mpg at 75-80mph. Hopefully it will improve, cuz I doubt my driving habbits are going to improve.

How many miles do you have on the car for that? I'm just under a thousand and 18 is my best I've seen so far. Its all city driving too. It goes up quite a bit on the short trips on the freeway I've taken.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I got my number by a mix between 55 and 90mph cruising from Indiana up through Chicago (went downtown, less traffic than 294 returning) and into SE Wiso, average cruise in outer chicago areas and Indiana was 80, 72-73 in SE Wisco, never do more in SE Wisco unless you want a ticket.

I average 22-23 about, my mix from house to work has a number of spots where I need to get up to 60 fast from a stop, so that's where my mileage takes a hit.

I've been watching my milage like a hawk....all aves constantly around 21 - 23.5. But I had one tank of gas that was 26 and got like 360 miles to my tank....I though it was weird. Well I found out what it is, and I still can't really believe it would make a diff.

for the 21 - 23.5 ave I was putting in Sunoco gas (two feet from my house)

for the 26 ave I put in Shell's V-tech (20 feet from my house =)

I have switched many times now testing, still in disbelief......but son of a B...needless to say from now on only Shell for me

Oh and if it matters to anyone I'm running Cobbs Stage 1, maybe they tuned and made the map with this gas.....who knows.....

Disclaimer: All aves were attempted with similar driving styles and accelaration rates, I tested 5 tanks of each gas, mostly highway driving :D

I got 26.7 average by the math, 27.9 gauge this past weekend. :D
You must have been coasting with the engine off. I haven't even seen 20 yet, and we've had the car(NON-GT) for two months!

You must have been coasting with the engine off. I haven't even seen 20 yet, and we've had the car(NON-GT) for two months!

20 is pretty easy to get in the GT. I am averaging 24mpg right now (city driving - and according to the dashboard computer which is usually about .5mpg high)

It just depends on how you drive. I think my driving style is a pretty good comprimise between real sporty driving and conservative 'grandma-ish' driving... (i'm sure i could calm down and squeeze another 3-4mpg out of my car) -- - but if you go around town racing every where - of course you're going to see low milieage numbers.

I dont think anyone bought this car with Prius like expectations so i dont worry about it too much. Considering how much fun this car is to drive, low gas mileage is an okay trade off.

for the 21 - 23.5 ave I was putting in Sunoco gas (two feet from my house)

for the 26 ave I put in Shell's V-tech (20 feet from my house =)

Well this got me curious, so I modified my spreadsheet (http://www.calvars.com/unilat/auto/subaru/Menu.htm)

to find out the average for the fuels I've used and came up with the following.

Shell 93 = 5 tanks, average 20.5, best tank 21

Sunoco 93 = 14, 20.5, 22.5

BP 93 = 3, 20.7, 21

Citgo 93 = 2, 20.3, 21.8

Marathon 91 = 1, 20.8, 20.8

Granted, the sample sizes aren't equivalent, but the average mileage is basically steady across brands. It looks like you either have an anomaly, or your car and tune like Shell an awful lot. I'd love to see the kind of mileage you're showing.

My car is completely stock.

^^ I'm tell'n ya....I didn't believe it the first time, which is y I kept testing...being a QA engineer it's my job to test stuff......

And that's y I posted that I'm in cobbs stage 1, see'n if maybe the tuned it using that brand of gas....basically ask'n for someone that might know to confirm....I don't get it....They are 80% 2 lane highway miles (with lights every 3 - 6 miles) also at an ave speed of around 67 (traffic..ugh) give or take a few...

I just filled up this morning (holy mother of pearl is it freaking windy and cold today) 295 miles. 14.5 gallons exactly = 20.34 mpg

That was hwy and back roads mixed....ugh. I have a feeling the first time it's a tank of just back and forth to work (all back roads) I'm only going to get 17-18mpg.

600 miles on the car total.

93 octane

^^ I'm tell'n ya....I didn't believe it the first time, which is y I kept testing...being a QA engineer it's my job to test stuff......

How about that. That's my shingle as well.

I don't have an accessport, but if it will give me better mileage + more power, where's the downside? :)

Totally. If I can at least get 20 mpg on average then I'll be happy. My Integra was getting about 25, but I'm willing to take a cut in fuel economy to get the performance upgrade. An AP is looking better and better... Wheels.....? Accessport......? Wheels....? Accessport....? hmmmmmmm

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived