LegacyGT.com

97 outback transmission problem

lukeskywalker

okay well to start i have a 97 Subaru legacy outback with 140k on it

i dont know the last time the clutch was changed,

but it holds fine in all gears and if i put it in 5th and let the clutch out with the brakes on it stalls.

So here is the problem,

when i start the car clutch pedal is to the floor and the car is in neutral ill try and put it any gear and it wont go in at all and grinds reverse

shut the car off and put it in 1st an try and start the car it starts but moves forward with the clutch disengaged meaning pedal to the floor. now it only moves a little bit and makes a loud whining noise and i cant take it out of gear to shift at all, when i let the clutch out i feel it engage properly like it should but i can not shift gears with the clutch i can only shift by rev matching. now keep in mind this whole time the car is trying to move forward like the clutch is partialy engaged,

i have never had anything like this happen before. my last subaru was an impreza and the clutch went on that and it would just slip i never had a problem going into gear or it staying engaged.

i really dont think it is the clutch going from what i have read it seems like it has to do with the hydrulics but i dont know much about transmissions, i am an autobody tech not a mechanical tech, although i can do the work myself i just dont know how to diagnose this and was looking for some advice please and thank you.

if you need anymore information about what is happening ill do my best to answer

again thank you

luke

• 2 weeks later...

Alright this makes me sad that nobody has said anything or had any advice, every forum I have been on people are usually very helpful.

Well either way slight update.

I asked around and was told to try replacing the clutch slave cylinder so I did and found the old one to be stuck which is not good so i replaced it but that did not solve the problem.

Still if the clutch is all the way to the floor the car moves forward if it is in gear and makes a horrible whining noise but if you let it up of the floor slightly the car wont move but still makes the noise, and if you start the car while the gear box is in neutral you can not get it in gear at all.

I am at a lose the only things left I can think of is bent clutch fork, or though I think this is stretching it toasted syncros all though I am not even sure how you would do that.

This is why you never let girls drive your car it worked fine till my sister started driving it to work gosh :sigh:

well any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Archived