LegacyGT.com

What would it take to make my 168hp 2.5i the 250hp 2.5gt. and then from there, even stronger. also is it possible to make this thing whip around like the impreza? cuz these damn lancers keep revin their engines next to me, i have to show em what subaru's about, hehe

p.s. i suck at cars so uh, help :)

Im no expert by far but i think thats next to impossible. I think MAX u can get to about 200. Unless you talkin about getting a turbo charger. In which case u might as well have bought the GT. But hey i could be WAY off....thats just my impression after reading lots of these threads. Somone correct me if im wrong.

Return 2.5i and buy the 2.5GT....problem solved.

You will spend more money in the long run trying to get there with the 2.5i, not to mention talking about serious work on the car, which could be very difficult if you don't know much about cars. Not to mention the reliability of the car will most likely be decreased since you would have done so much to it.

Not to get on you, but it sounds like you might not have done enough research when buying.

lol, i would if i could afford it, maybe i'll just stick with the 2.5i pay it off and trade it in a couple years from now... thanks though, guess i'll just throw a here and there part on then, i don't know much about cars, but, i do know a mechanic real well, he's just hard to get ahold of, so i asked you guys.

thanks

For turbo you would need a MIN of:

A.) Hood with scoop, unless you went with a front mount IC

B.) IC

C.) Turbo and all the plumbing.

You are still talking several thousand without installation. No guarentee that it would even fit in there either....not sure.

I also have a 2.5i (Liberty in Australia). From what I have read the only power mod worth doing (wiithin a budget) is a full exhaust including headers. The graphs I have seen indicate that is is worthwhile.

This link shows what an exhaust and some other mods can do:

http://www.ecutek.com.au/images/DynoGraphs/FTP_Dynograph/MRT-Impreza-2004-RS-2500cc-exhaust-Vs-Custom-dyno-mods.jpg

Since power mods on the 2.5i are limited or very costly perhaps you should consider improving the car's handling. Change the swaybars (front and rear), shocks and springs, alot of cars will have trouble keeping up with you through corners.

Anyway this is the direction I will be going in.

Goodluck.

• 2 months later...
I also have a 2.5i (Liberty in Australia). From what I have read the only power mod worth doing (wiithin a budget) is a full exhaust including headers. The graphs I have seen indicate that is is worthwhile.

This link shows what an exhaust and some other mods can do:

http://www.ecutek.com.au/images/DynoGraphs/FTP_Dynograph/MRT-Impreza-2004-RS-2500cc-exhaust-Vs-Custom-dyno-mods.jpg

Since power mods on the 2.5i are limited or very costly perhaps you should consider improving the car's handling. Change the swaybars (front and rear), shocks and springs, alot of cars will have trouble keeping up with you through corners.

Anyway this is the direction I will be going in.

Goodluck.

Hi Mark,

Just out of curiosity, what kind of exhaust system would you be talking about? I own a MY02 Liberty (Legacy) and am considering installing an exhaust. However I have heard some liberties with an exhaust and they literally sound s**t. What I am mainly after is the boxer rumble that is evident in a WRX and the performance gains that one would expect from a better exhaust system.

I have been reading this forum and have heard the boxer beat has to do with the unequal header lengths. Is this correct? Any ideas would be welcome.

Loving this forum!

RX01

What would it take to make my 168hp 2.5i the 250hp 2.5gt. and then from there, even stronger. also is it possible to make this thing whip around like the impreza? cuz these damn lancers keep revin their engines next to me, i have to show em what subaru's about, hehe

Why did you buy this car? Why not a used WRX?

And anyone with an Evo who revs on what is obviously a n/a legacy is a total clown! Try to be happy you don't get killed at the pump as often as the stoplight.

If you want to whip around like an Impreza and race Lancers, then trade that thing in on a WRX.

Hi Mark,

Just out of curiosity, what kind of exhaust system would you be talking about? I own a MY02 Liberty (Legacy) and am considering installing an exhaust. However I have heard some liberties with an exhaust and they literally sound s**t. What I am mainly after is the boxer rumble that is evident in a WRX and the performance gains that one would expect from a better exhaust system.

I have been reading this forum and have heard the boxer beat has to do with the unequal header lengths. Is this correct? Any ideas would be welcome.

Loving this forum!

RX01

Hi, the exhaust I am talking about is MRT. I recommend you you check out the aussie forums with lots of Subaru Liberty drivers.

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/

Have fun

For turbo you would need a MIN of:

A.) Hood with scoop, unless you went with a front mount IC

B.) IC

C.) Turbo and all the plumbing.

You are still talking several thousand without installation. No guarentee that it would even fit in there either....not sure.

you forgot about all the engine internals to lower the compression ratio, which means rebilding the engine, which means $$$$$$

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

you forgot about all the engine internals to lower the compression ratio, which means rebilding the engine, which means $$$$$$

I thought you want to raise the compression ratio, and only lower it if your planning on going forced induction... what am i missing?

Archived