LegacyGT.com

97 Legacy L n/a... anything to watch for?

82DMC12

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2008 Legacy but I am thinking about buying a 1997 Legacy sedan as a second car, possibly to have some fun with and then flip in a few months.

It's at a dealer who has supposedly done most of the service on the car (local trade). It has 137K and had the timing belt and wp done at 114K. It's a 5 speed, shifts and drives well. Silver exterior, dark gray interior, also has foglights. No leaks and all the fluids look clean (didn't check the rear diff though). The only reason I am considering it is because it is really super clean and in good shape.

They are asking $3495 for it, but it will need tires and front struts. I'm thinking they'll sell for $3000 as-is. It will be easy to re-sell because I am in ND/MN lake country where Subarus are extremely popular in the winter.

Are there any items to really watch for on these cars? My gf has a 98 AT just like it and that car is bullet-proof. How long do the clutches last? The dealer says it was owned by an older woman who traded it in for a 2007 Legacy. Any warning signs when the clutch is getting bad? Anything else to watch for?

Also, are the struts hard to do? I've done struts on FWD cars before and am handy in the garage.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Andy

I have a 2008 Legacy but I am thinking about buying a 1997 Legacy sedan as a second car, possibly to have some fun with and then flip in a few months.

I hope you mean resell, because literally may not be all that fun!!!!:D

The dealer says it was owned by an older woman who traded it in for a 2007 Legacy.

They ALL say that, and realistically I don't want an older woman's car....they never take care of them.

Archived