LegacyGT.com

New to site + Engine Size Question

Hello everyone, I'm ALTER and I'm new to the site :)

I have been a fan of Subaru for a long time, even though I am only 15, and my family has owned 4 Subaru vehicles to this date.

Here are the vehicles my family has owned in the past:

'95 Impreza (where my love for Subaru started)

'98 Impreza

'90 Legacy 1.8 GL ( Where my love for legacy started)

'02 Legacy ?? ?? ( Current car, most favourite of the four)

I have a question to everyone. I just moved to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia about 5 months ago, and so we bought a new car. Let me tell you, this place is a car heaven. Unlike what you're imagining, this place isn't ALL desert. I see Porsches and Lamborghinis on the street all the time. Plus gasoline is so cheap you can't imagine it! ( 0.50 sr for a liter which is $0.50 for a gallon!)

We searched a long time for a Subaru in good shape and at a reasonable price. We checkedout many cars before finally deciding on a white 2002 Legacy,which we bought for SR10,500 ( $2,800).

The problem is, I have no idea what the engine size is. It's supposed to say on the back, but mine just has a round sticker with arabic writing on it.

I tried to do some research and i found something about ignition light switch and number of cup holders and something about the shape of grill, well I'll list the specs and maybe you can tell me what my engine size is.

There is a green light around the ignition where the key goes in

One cupholder on the dash, next to the AC, one next to the handbrake.

The front grill is is shaped like a honey comb

Dash has a hard-to-notice wood finish, I don't know if its stock or not

I don't know if my bumper/fenders are stock or not, but I have never seen anything like it on any '02 Legacy pictures on the net.

Is there any writing on the engine which could help me figure out my engine size?

Thanks everyone for your help.

I have come to this site to learn about car performance and engine modifications. I hope I'll have fun here:)

our-car.gif.de1378d623f0d42dbeee158445efc927.gif

It should be a 2.5 H4

Not necessarily. North American third-generation (BE/BH) Legacies came w/ the 2.5 liter, but I believe the world-market cars were 2.0 liter. Check the engine compartment VIN tag and it will specify either EJ20. . .(2.0 liter) or EJ25 . . .(2.5 liter) for the engine.

From what I can gather, and by pictures of cars very similar to yours, it appears to be a UK Legacy 2.5GX. It's all stock, that's how they came.

They are a much nicer car overseas than here in North America. We just got a stripped down boring sedan. Those headlights and ground effects make the car look much nicer.

But, as stated previously, to be sure, you can decode the VIN which will give you the trim line and engine size.

Well, ım a noob and ı have no ıdea where the VIN number ıs

also, one of the mechanıcs we went to told us that the orıgınal engıne was 2.5 but the prevıous owner had changed ıt to 2.2

thats why ım askıng ıs there anythıng on the ENGINE ITSELF that could help me fıgure out the engıne sıze.

should be a semi polished label/area on the upper engine block that should decipher the engine code. most of the time, the main VIN plate is located on the drivers center pillar or on the drivers door. i have noticed that Subaru tends to post its VIN plate on the passenger side door. look for a small placard with a 17 digit code, numbers and letters as well a 4 digit production code looks something like 04/02 (meaning April of 2002) an yes, welcome. id like to hear more about Saudi too if you dont mind PMing me some info if you've the time.

On one of the strut towers in the engine bay, is a little plaque with your VIN, applied model number, engine number, trim code, paint code, and transmission number

The engine number will tell you exactly what it is. For example, EJ208, or EJ257, or EJ20R etc. etc. the first 2 numbers are the displacement, i.e. EJ20 = 2L, EJ25 = 2.5L, and the 3rd number is what type of engine it is pretty much, i.e, EJ20R was the twin turbo 2L engine only found in manual GTB's/RSB's from 96-98.

Post up your aplied model number, and engine number after you take a look. And also whatever badges you have on the boot. (i.e, TS-R, 250T, 2.0R or whatever..)

Oh, and btw, YES, your car is stock. You have a world market legacy, they are much nicer than the US ones you'll see posted here. The bumpers stock, the grille and headlights are stock, the side skirts are stock, that woodgrain is stock.

Ok, i got a picture of my VIN tag. It say's EJ25, so that must mean it came with a 2.5L engine, but my mechanic said the previous owner had changed the engine to 2.2L I didn't ask him at the time how he knew, and I regret it now. But it doesn't sound logical, I mean, in a country where gasoline is basically free, why would you change your engine to a smaller one?

I couldn't find any writing on the engine that seemed like an engine spec code.

Included is a picture of my VIN, just so you can give me more information about my car.http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u80/aspirin111/VIN.gif

this may just be easier. the first picture is what you are looking for. the second picture is the area to look. if you look at the green connector in my pic, the mark is to the left and straight down. yours may look similar, but this should get you your answer.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/star91281/0610092102.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/star91281/0610092103.jpg

^^^^^exactly^^^^ both shtbxr22 posted the engine plate locale, and the VIN plate youve found will tell you everything else (that was put on when it rolled off the assembly line). so if your engine has been swapped, shtbxr22 photo will be very helpful, and your VIN plate will tel you your color, production date and certain numbers/letters in your actual VIN itself details more things about the car. but it seems as if you may have everything you need now to decipher what your car is and what motor youre currently using!

Thakns everyone, I have checked the little plate on the engine, and it says EJ20. which means my engine is 2.0L

I would have preffered a 2.5 engine, seeing as gasoline is basically free here, and i could use the extra power, but oh well, 2.0 is still ok.

Thanks everyone :)

I was just saying that because the 2.0 that I have experienced here in the us only have turbos are very much doggy, but I wasn't thinking my statement through fully because power delivery is far different between a turbo and NA. don't have to wait for boost to build with NA.

Having an EJ20 may not necessary be a bad thing. I do not know about the older legacy but for the current (now last gen) legacy the Japanese market actually had quite a few different versions of the non-turbo EJ20 made and one of them actually produces more power than the american 2.5i engine.

Displacement does play a major role in determining the HP of an engine but there are also many other factors such as DOHC/SOHC, AVCS, max rpm that would affect the total output of an engine.

Archived