LegacyGT.com

My first car shopping trip.

Okay not really. My current '99 was my first car I ever bought. I didn't really wheel and deal for it at the time having zero credit, no co-signer, etc. I just jumped on the first Subaru that I saw for a decent price that was in good shape and probably paid too much. It's kinda hard to kick tires without a car to get to the dealer. Lesson learned. I'm going to try to take my time and look out for the best deal.

I'm looking for an auto. I wouldn't mind a wagon but I'm looking at the sedan since there seems to be more of them available. Maybe people are holding on to them? I don't care for leather, sunroofs, or power seats. But it seems all the GTs I see are Limited version. Don't get me wrong, l would take a Limited if at the right price.

What is a decent price to pay for a 2005 LGT with 40-50K miles? From my internet research, I'm seeing above 17K average for the 2005. They are saying the "retail value" is 19-20K. That seems a bit steep. KBB is about 20K for "excellent" condition. Nada is 15K? There's a white on black CPO for 16.5K. That's maybe the best deal I've seen so far. Also a high mileage (80K) '05 for 12K. I've seen people on here snagging deals of around 14K. That's more what I'm looking for. I'm looking anywhere from San Francisco to Sacramento.

Next question is about my trade in. I'm not expecting much seeing as I'm at 130,XXX. She's seen better days but has to be worth something to them if they want to make the sale. What should I be looking to get for a '99 LGT rust bucket? I'll just be happy if I get enough to cover all the taxes and fees if I get the right price on the car.

Thanks for any answers you may have to add. I'm sure I'll be back here with more questions in the near future.

I sold my 05 LGT Limited 5EAT with 54K miles for $18,500 a year ago. that's on a high side, only because I had new transmission parts, turbo, painted front bumper and trunk. I would think you should be able to find one for about $17K or under depending on mileage. For non-limited, should be able to find one for around $15K. Look in our classifieds as you may find what you're looking for in your own area.

Do you own your car outright? if so, don't trade it in at a dealership because trading in a crappy old car with high miles is even worse than having no credit or down payment. They're gonna end up wholesaling your car. You're much better off to put an add in Craigs list and see if anyone will buy it for a couple grand. Private sales will always result in the seller and buyer getting a better price. Good luck.

Also, remember, not until 2007 did folding rear seats become available on the newer LGTs for the sedans. ;) something I wish I had known when I bought my LGT in 05. If I'd known this, I'd have bought the wagon (same price at the time) instead.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Thanks for the info. So 16-17K is a decent price huh? Hopefully I can find an unLimited instead. I may have to wait another year or so. I've searched the classifieds on here. Most are at a good price but are mostly east coast cars. I've seen a local CL ad for an '05 for 11K. Too bad it's a 5spd.

I have owned my car for about 4 years now without a car payment. That's been nice while it lasted. I expect to get the shaft on a trade in. I may try craigslist but don't want the hassle. I just hate that I have to keep throwing parts at it every month or so.

The no fold down rear seat is one reason I'm thinking wagon.I'm also not happy about losing my mp3 player. Although I'm looking into ways around that.

Thanks for the info. So 16-17K is a decent price huh? Hopefully I can find an unLimited instead. I may have to wait another year or so. I've searched the classifieds on here. Most are at a good price but are mostly east coast cars. I've seen a local CL ad for an '05 for 11K. Too bad it's a 5spd.

I have owned my car for about 4 years now without a car payment. That's been nice while it lasted. I expect to get the shaft on a trade in. I may try craigslist but don't want the hassle. I just hate that I have to keep throwing parts at it every month or so.

The no fold down rear seat is one reason I'm thinking wagon.I'm also not happy about losing my mp3 player. Although I'm looking into ways around that.

Look for the Jazzy AUX input DIY on this site. I believe it's in the DIY thread actually.

When I was looking around last year for my car I was able to find a 2005 Unlimited GT for 14k at a dealership for a 40k in good condition, it was a bit under at the time, so I don't imagine it would be too much cheaper now, maybe 13k?

I would say that if you're willing to find the financing yourself that you may want to create a Want To Buy (WTB) post in the For Sale sections of this site and NASIOC, but that does leave you selling your car by yourself.

• 4 weeks later...
I bought my 05 LGT 5MT Limited in May for 15,750 pre taxes.. 1 Owner Lease car.. great carfax.. 50.5k miles at a subie dealership. paint is amazing, only the driver seat has wear... I bought an extended warranty cause i was nervous.. ended up being 19 flat out the door.. 4 year 100k miles warranty.. bumper to bumper warranty too

I forgot to update this thread. I bought an '05 LGT in GRP with black interior for $10,900 with 80K miles. It had the engine replaced while at the dealer. I'm fairly confident it will hold up as long as the tech did a quality job on the install. It has the 12/12 warranty on the engine as well. It does have a (very nice sounding) cat back exhaust and some slotted rotors so I'm assuming the prior owner was driving it like he stole it.

In a few hundred miles I plan to check the turbo banjo bolt and replace the catted uppipe. I also have an annoying rear suspension squeek that is getting worse but I can't complain since the price was right. If it's the shocks that gives me an excuse to upgrade to Bilsteins. I'm just glad I was able to keep it Subaru for another 5+ years.

Newcomer here. Tempted on getting a new Legacy (taking advantage of latest incentives).

Seems that the Legacy has a great resale value, based on what I have read.

Just wanted to comment and say Hi :)

Archived