LegacyGT.com

HID poll

CFar

What kit do you have, and how much work was required to make it fit?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What kit do you have, and how much work was required to make it fit?

• McCulloch
    • Xenondepot
    • Kit made from scratch
    • other

Im curious to know of those that have HID, what kind do you have and exactly how much modification was required to the stock lamps (plug and play, splicing, drilling..etc.). Really Im mostly curious as to who has the most plug and play kit (Ive done the hacking and its a pain).

This is not an opinion poll just a faq for what fits and how much work is required to make it fit.

Thanks,

Chris

McCulloch is completely plug'n'play. You will need to drill a 1 inch hole in the dust cap, but you will most likely have to do this with any HID kit. Installation takes about an hour if you are taking your time. The most difficult part is deciding where to mount the ballasts.

Yup. And even that decision isn't really that hard. You just remove the cap over the headlight, unplug your factory bulb, take the bulb out, run the wire with the two connectors under the headlight where this rubber grommet is at, connect the two connecters to this plastic piece that comes with your kit that will plug right into the factory harnes that used to be connected to the bulb, drill a hole through the headlight cap, run the wires through so the grommet is in the hole, seal that with silicone, plug the bulb into headlight and put the cap back on, plug the two wires from the bulb that come out of the cap into the wires connecting to the ballast, hide all the wires and secure the ballast somewhere, turn on your headlights. Sounds like a lot of steps, but its really not that hard. scans007 has a good walkthrough on his website. I'm sure his website is in his profile if you want to take a look at that. Its really easy. Block out an hour or two for the project and you should be good. I could do it much faster the second time than the first I would bet. Its really not complicated at all.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I just ordered the McCulloch 5+k kit. This kit has the igniters seperate that yours didnt appear to have. Did you have them and not picture them, or are yours the gen 4. These were advertised as gen 5.

BTW, your directions are excellent.

Chris

Yup all kits have to have some type of ignitors (in the kit pic, one is in the top right of the picture - lil black square thing) I didn't show them at the end of the install cuz I hid them =)....

I used a 3/4 inch spade bit, cuz I didn't wanna make the hole to big, but then had to widen again. (you can see bit the in one of the pics) Then I took a razor and smoothed everything out. Once everything was installed put sillicon around the outer edges of the hole to secure and keep mostiure out, let it sit for a while...and ready to rock =)

Hope that helps

go with Philips/hella. "McCulloch has a horrible reputation and a high failure rate. You will only be told that they are good from someone who has them installed and still have them working for now. Their story will change. They also do not realize the output difference from OEM HID and until they actually sit in a car with OEM HID's they think theirs is the best." --from the Admin @ http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

go with Philips/hella. "McCulloch has a horrible reputation and a high failure rate. You will only be told that they are good from someone who has them installed and still have them working for now. Their story will change. They also do not realize the output difference from OEM HID and until they actually sit in a car with OEM HID's they think theirs is the best." --from the Admin @ http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

I have had OEM HID's from my previous car and these McCulloch HID's are much better lighting. I do not think that McCulloch is the best HID kit out there. I do think they are the best price for what you get. The information you have regarding McCulloch is from the older generation ballasts that had a high failure rate. The newer generation ballasts (gen 5) are much more reliable and come with a one year warranty as well.

Archived