LegacyGT.com

Unusual Steering Wheel Vibration Please Help

Kevin03045

Barking cancels the effect of the warped rotor, dropping the speed or, the pressure of the pad against the rotor, I dunno.

I'm open on it being something else in the front end, I've come up against a warped rotor twice, once in my car and once in someone else's car. Excessive braking can overheat a rotor so, it's not always a tire shop.

Braking exacerbates the effects of a warped rotor. Warped rotors are not impossible, just highly unlikely, and are most often uneven pad deposits on the rotor surface. The myth of warped rotors is perpetuated because uneducated mechanics/shops diagnose the problem as warpage, turn the rotor on a lathe (which removes the deposits) and when the symptoms disappear, falsely reaffirm the incorrect diagnoisis... over, and over, and over again.

Braking exacerbates the effects of a warped rotor. Warped rotors are not impossible, just highly unlikely, and are most often uneven pad deposits on the rotor surface. The myth of warped rotors is perpetuated because uneducated mechanics/shops diagnose the problem as warpage, turn the rotor on a lathe (which removes the deposits) and when the symptoms disappear, falsely reaffirm the incorrect diagnoisis... over, and over, and over again.

Well, ok then. Except when rotors get replaced due to warpage. Turning rotors in my experience is usually unnecessary (adds $ / profit on the repair bill) but can be useful if the surface is marked due to worn out brake pads.

I'll let you have the last word, this is enough for me.

Well, ok then. Except when rotors get replaced due to warpage. Turning rotors in my experience is usually unnecessary (adds $ / profit on the repair bill) but can be useful if the surface is marked due to worn out brake pads.

I'll let you have the last word, this is enough for me.

I welcome the conversation and am in no way trying to steamroll my opinion on the subject with you.

Replacing rotors due to "warpage" does not prove anything, unfortunately. It is my opinion, and that of many braking experts whos knowledge I've relied on for my opinion, that your warped rotors that were replaced were never really warped to begin with. The diagnosis could have been swiss cheese rotors, and replacing them would have cured their swiss cheese problem, but unfortuntely for all parties involved, has done nothing to cure the root issue and prevent it from returning.

• 3 months later...
Ok so I finally figured out my problem even after going to the dealer several times & they found nothing. It took my front endlinks to crap out to find it. My brother-in-law AKA my back-up mechanic was helping me replace my endlinks, just wanted to get them done quick & besides he has a lift at his house which makes life very easy. We found my front bushings were bad, so bad that the left side was almost down to metal on metal. Why the dealer never checked this the two times they had the car is beyond me. Oh yea of course while we were looking I also found a bent rim in the back, but this rim was in the front about a month ago. So you can see with the bent rim & the bushings/endlinks being bad my vibration was horrible. Problem solved for me hope this helps others who were having the same unexplained issues like me. Trust no one but yourself!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
We found my front bushings were bad, so bad that the left side was almost down to metal on metal.

Which bushings ? The front LCAs? I've been getting a similar shimmy/vibration. Just had my wheels & tires rebalanced and rotated - still there.

My car has 68k miles on it now.

My steps were going to be -> alignment, new struts, bushings, and so on.

• 1 month later...
i am having the same issue with mine. It seems to happen in the cold more, when the steering wheel vibrates about 3/8, then once it starts warming up it stops vibrating. Vibration will occasionally reappear but not as bad, only as a weird shimmy. I have a new control arm in the front passenger, the whiteline lca bushings. The suspension is tight, and this started happening about 2 years ago. Replaced the tires along with the wheels ans it's still there. Rotating does not seem to help any, alignments are done once monthly. Also the car seems to be very unstable at 70+ mph and it looks like it's all coming from the passenger front wheel

• 2 months later...
Which bushings? Front rear or front front?

Front factory Sway bar Bushings were bad. Caused the sway bar to move under cornering this is why the car would shimmy after turns then smooth out a little after turning the other way. Took me a frigging eternity to figure out.

Archived