LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Change Interval Question

Most of us are paid that way(commission). However, there is no reason not to be honest with the customer.

That statement is self contradictory :lol:

It is not contradiction but double negative.

Still makes sense.

Krzys

• 5 years later...

I hate to necro post to the long dead thread, but I was curious if there really is a time component to replacing the belt/tensioner/water pump.

I ask because I just picked up a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon with just 63,000 miles. Being that it is just over 10 years old, I was wondering if anyone thought it possibly needed a timing belt job done. I know many of the other cars I've owned have 105k/10 years listed for replacement. Does Subaru have a similar recommendation or is it purely based on mileage?

The car is stock and was very well maintained from the records. It had full 60k service at the dealership less than 1 year ago along with plugs, valve cover gaskets, transmission service, and rear diff service. I didn't see any mention of timing belt on the paperwork.

I hate to necro post to the long dead thread, but I was curious if there really is a time component to replacing the belt/tensioner/water pump.

I ask because I just picked up a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon with just 63,000 miles. Being that it is just over 10 years old, I was wondering if anyone thought it possibly needed a timing belt job done. I know many of the other cars I've owned have 105k/10 years listed for replacement. Does Subaru have a similar recommendation or is it purely based on mileage?

The car is stock and was very well maintained from the records. It had full 60k service at the dealership less than 1 year ago along with plugs, valve cover gaskets, transmission service, and rear diff service. I didn't see any mention of timing belt on the paperwork.

I think you should follow owners manual which IIRC, is strictly based on miles. You should check - it's on-line is you don't have one.

I thought I saw one chart that had a month equivalent. Anyone else seen that? If I recall, it was 105 months, which oddly works out to something like 8.75 years. I don't want to waste money/effort doing something that isn't needed, but I don't want to risk it breaking or having the tensioner loose pressure either.

Most likely, it would be a DIY job since I do most of my own maintenance so we are only talking $300 or less in parts, but a good day of labor at least.

I just had mine done with 92k, car purchased 6/05 so 115 months. The belt looked great, the independent shop owner Subaru master tech said you just never know when they will let go. I replaced the OEM crank pulley with a Kartboy LWCP. ( bad things happen to those too) OEM water pump, assc. belt hoses.

Mine was bought in mid-2004, so its already more than 125 months old...I think I'll order the parts for a spring project just to be safe. Just to be sure, I'm going to contact the original owner and make sure he didn't have it done already. Luckily, the dealership left a few service records that has his contact info printed on it.

I'd be willing to bet the TB was not changed, most people will wait til they hit 105k. Gates Kit TCK328: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gates-TCK328-Timing-Belt-Kit/dp/B0033DM4UA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t]Amazon.com: Gates TCK328 Timing Belt Kit: Automotive[/ame]

OEM water pump and thermo/ gasket.

I'd be willing to bet the TB was not changed, most people will wait til they hit 105k. Gates Kit TCK328: Amazon.com: Gates TCK328 Timing Belt Kit: Automotive

OEM water pump and thermo/ gasket.

You are probably correct, but the previous owner did seem pretty on top of maintenance. I saw he flushed cookant, brake fluid, trans, diff, last year. Also had valve cover gaskets replaced, new plugs, etc. He was obviously following reommended service advice from somewhere. Like I said, I just want to be sure.

billbillw,

While I agree that following the recommended replacement intervals in miles is usually good, time does play a factor when rubber is involved.

Example. My family has 4 cars. A mercury villager was purchased new in 2001. The car hasn't been used often. We usually loan it to visiting family members. Fast forward to 2014 and it had 68k miles on it. It lives in CA and has been garaged 1/2 time. Last year I gave the car away. The new owner had the belts and timing belt replaced. The TB looked almost new. The drive belts all had small hairline cracks in them, as did the sidewall of the tires. He replaced the tires. Granted the TB is on the inside of the engine and wasn't exposed to the elements like the other components, but would you want to risk your engine. Obviously the difference here is we knew the belt had never been replaced. I'd do my best to find out in your case, but wouldn't chance it. Moral here, the TB probably could have made it to 100k, but it's not worth the chance given the original belts age. My feeling anyway.

As far as our cars go. I used the complete gates kit with blue Kevlar belt and purchased a OEM thermostat. Gates kit included thermo gasket and a OEM metal WP gasket. 10k on this kit, and its great.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gates-TCKWP328RB-Timing-Belt-Kit/dp/B005IUT7S8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1422201605&sr=1-1&keywords=tckwp328rb&pebp=1422201609994&peasin=B005IUT7S8]Amazon.com: Gates TCKWP328RB Timing Belt Kit: Automotive[/ame]

You are probably correct, but the previous owner did seem pretty on top of maintenance. I saw he flushed cookant, brake fluid, trans, diff, last year. Also had valve cover gaskets replaced, new plugs, etc. He was obviously following reommended service advice from somewhere. Like I said, I just want to be sure.

Unless I saw it in writing I'd replace it, you've got a great car with low mileage, I did all the same at 67k ( except valve covers) I'm not going to debate the Blue Kevlar belt here ( threads available) my mechanic does not recommend the use. Research to find out why!

Unless I saw it in writing I'd replace it, you've got a great car with low mileage, I did all the same at 67k ( except valve covers) I'm not going to debate the Blue Kevlar belt here ( threads available) my mechanic does not recommend the use. Research to find out why!

I did some quick checking and couldn't find anything negative about the Blue Gates belt, other than its probably overkill (300x stronger?). Am I missing something?

I was planning on buying the kit with water pump from Fred Beans.

Yeah, after reading all day on the subject, I did find a few mentions of that blue transfer. I also didn't realize that they want an extra hundred or more for that silly blue belt. Not going to happen for my stock daily driver. My debate will be whether to use the Gates kit with water pump (ie: Gates pump) or get it without the pump and order an OEM water pump and metal gasket.

After making a few calls to the servicing dealers, I have pretty much confirmed that the job has not been done. I also figured out that the spark plugs haven't been done either. When I saw the receipt for the valve cover job, it had 4 cylinder plugs, but I have since figured out that those are the black plastic filler plugs on the head, not the spark plugs. One more job to do.

Still planning to call the original owner this week. I have several other questions about the car to ask him as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Question for the group! I recently bought a car which had the timing belt, water pump and clutch done at the dealership 10,000 miles prior to me buying the car. I currently own the car now and it was purchased from an in between owner (not from the dealership). They are telling me my timing belt jumped two teeth and that it was shredded. The question is how in gods name could I or the previous owner have done this when he only drove the car 10,000 miles in the last two years... I think something is extremely fishy about this and they WILL NOT cover it under warranty.

Thanks for your input!

Archived