LegacyGT.com

Any downside to going -1 front camber?

Triple Digits

If you drive hard you should have no problem keeping wear normal across the tire with -1. When I had my WRX I had about -1.5 and it wore pretty even left to right. I took it to the track and auto-x'd it though, actually I think the outside wore a little more then the inside :) I will be going with around -1.5 if I can with my LGT.

Guest turboman
Also get your tires flipped (inside shoulder flipped onto the outside) after 2 or 3 tire rotations to keep the shoulders even on all the tires.

Keefe

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Trace my previous threads on tire rotation. I used the pencil eraser analogy. Hold a pencil the same way everytime you erase until a 45 degree angle is on the eraser head. Note how many times you erased with it. Note the quantity of eraser dust on your desk and floor.

Now rotate it 180 degrees and continue erasing. Note how fast eraser wipes itself out because of the reduced surface area erasing. Until it reaches a 45 degree angle in the other direction. Then the rapid wear disappears.

A tire is exactly the same as a eraser. Friction and a consumable material. Once a tire has contoured itself to its alignment it gives the most surface area on the road. Best traction. Rotate it to reverse that and the next tread wear will be excessively rapid and traction poor until it establishes a new wear pattern and half your tread depth is gone.

Summation: Don't rotate tires. It's primarily an excuse for a dealer to get your car up on a lift so he can find something else to repair.

Summation: Don't rotate tires. It's primarily an excuse for a dealer to get your car up on a lift so he can find something else to repair.

You're kidding right? Dont rotate tires? Here's something you can do: rotate your own tires. If you dont evenly wear out your tires, then you can sit there and toss out some good tires that other people can just easily flip-mount and get another 5k to 10k out of them.

Keefe

Keefe

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I'm with Turboman on this one. If the tires are properly inflated and alignment is in spec. and you have good shocks/struts the tires should wear normally. Not-withstanding the driver who takes corners like Tron.

I've had BF Goodrich AT on my previous trucks which people usually harp on for their wear longevity. My friend would get 30-40K out of his and I usually got 75-80K out of mine. I never once rotated them and yes there was still tread on them and they were worn EVENLY. I think a lot of people simply don't pay attention to tire inflation/worn shocks which results in crappy wearing tires.Not that I'm saying you guys don't.:p

Brian

except in a subaru (read AWD) the car has a natural tendancy to understeer- no matter what you do.. so unless you have + or - toe dialed in the outside is going to wear first not the inside...

and one more thought why would you even let your dealer touch the tires .. they are suposed to give you the tire talk at deleviry "tires are a seperate warrenty than the car itself- you have to contact the tire manufacture if you have a proublem"

the only time a dealer would touch my car at all is if its getting free warrenty work

i trust the local 18 year old at the quick lube more than the dealer for an oil change -- i am in subaru #6 none of them have ever had their oil changed by the dealer

Archived