LegacyGT.com

Old fart calling on Jedi audio techno pups for advice

slushboxgt

Hi,

I just bought an '08 GT and I want to upgrade the sound system using the stock head unit.

I know that there are no line outs on the stock unit, so I'm thinking a five channel amp like a Kicker 08ZX700.5 that has high level inputs? If needed I could later add a clean sweep, but I'd like to keep the factory volume control if possible, and keep the cost down.

I will replace the front speakers and keep the rears for fill, I'm thinking something along the lines of Infinity reference 6.5 coax?

I would also need some type of sub, but this is a daily driver so I don't want to loose a bunch of trunk space, or the fold down rear seats, ideas?

I listen to lots of jazz, rock, alternative, and some classical (sounds like a personals ad :lol:). Not looking for boom boom boom, and don't expect miracles, but a nice tight clean integrated sound with good base response and a modicum of punch for my fading hearing ;).

Thanks,

Paul

You don't need a 5 channel amp to do what you want especially if you are keeping the rear speakers (I would not amplify them). JL makes a nice 10" box with a small foot print. But asking people here what sub they like will return similar results as asking what your favorite ice cream is. (same with the speakers) A good start would be dynamating the crap out of your doors. This made a huge difference in sound even with the stock speakers, not necessarily in the quality or clarity though.

Hey, I would recommend a MTX REQ-5, It is a highend Hilow adapter that restores factory bass and has some adjustments.. Also will boost amplifiers signal to 8 volts, making sound clearer.. Only about 79.99.. That what i am using for my sound system setup and sounds great.. the Mtx req-5 will restore good midbass to factory speakers.. I currently have to amps a 4channel for mids and a 1 channel for bass.. I would definately recommend some new front door speakers, like a set of components.. and at least 1 10inch sub for some bass to match music.. Easiest set up would be a 5 channel amp.. keeps it simple.. The Mtx req-5 also has a extra aux you can use. Any question hit me up..

Also, if you want really good sound, use a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2. 1/3rd octave EQ for all channels, and it will interface with the OEM stereo and work with the amp you have

• 4 weeks later...
a good first step is replace the deck, I really like bass, but have a wife, and the factory speakers are good enough for me. well not really but enough that I am not complaining like I was before, look on the first page of the interior audio section for the JDM conversion for more info

Archived