LegacyGT.com

Gear Oil for 5EAT front and rear diffs

dwood1111

I want to change the front and rear differential oil in my 5EAT powertrain. I bought some Red Line 75W90 but not the NS stuff. Do I need the NS stuff for the front or is that only for the 5MT? How many quarts am I going to need for both as well?

You need the non-NS stuff so you have the right kind. That's only for the MT guys which share the front diff fluid with the transmission.

There is a walk-through thread on how to do it, I don't remember if you need two or 3 quarts. I think the front takes 0.8 and the rear 1.2? Buy 3 to be safe and return one if it's extra :D

DO NOT undo the drain bolt first. Take the fill one out first because if that one is stuck and you just drained the fluid, you're SOL :D

You need the non-NS stuff so you have the right kind. That's only for the MT guys which share the front diff fluid with the transmission.

There is a walk-through thread on how to do it, I don't remember if you need two or 3 quarts. I think the front takes 0.8 and the rear 1.2? Buy 3 to be safe and return one if it's extra :D

DO NOT undo the drain bolt first. Take the fill one out first because if that one is stuck and you just drained the fluid, you're SOL :D

Thanks for the heads up on the drain bolt. I have had experience with this before to I am all to aware of such problems. It really is amazing how much harder the fill is to get off than the drain. Of every car I have ever owned, it has always been this way.

DOES NOT FREAKING MATTER! LGT doesn't have clutch type differentials!!!!

Archived