LegacyGT.com

Need some help with headlights on a BE5

I recentely changed my headlights from a 9007 (Since I had 9007 bulbs cuz I have a L Limited) to the GT headlights with projectors (High/Lows are different bulbs now). The headlight fit with no problem, however once I turned my headlights on, the high beams didnt work. :confused:After a while only one side of the headlights had high beams (The left side). Has anyone ever had this problem? Or does anyone know of anyone who has had this conversion before? Anyone with any information, please let me know.:)

umm... just got my 09 couple days ago. i 'm not too sure. but hopefully i can give you some clue here.

i know pre-05, 07 and 09 are diff. 07 use proj as drl but 09 use hi-beam as drl. and they both need diff way to disable their drl. did you check those wires?

mark

I have already disabled my drl. I also have a 03 Legacy, so they might be a little different from the newer ones. Thanks for your help though, I will talk to my mechanic again today and see how things go.

Not sure if this pertains to your setup or not, but when I went from reflector to JDM projector on my '99 Leggy, there was an issue with a bad ground on the driver's side low (projector) bulb which kept blowing my high beam fuse. After making a few adjustments, everything seems to work fine now. Have you checked your fuses? If the high beam fuse is blown, check to make sure you're not grounding out anywhere. This can be someone difficult to check as Subaru (at least older models) use a ground break instead of a power break to turn things on and off. So, there should always be 12V to the bulb but when you turn it on, it might change.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Thanks for the info eekay. I have checked the fuses, but things seem alright. It might be the grounding. The high beams turn on when I turn my engine on, however after turning the low beams on again, the high beams dont come back on. During the installation, after I put my right headlights in (with the left still old) everything worked fine. It was after I took my left headlights out, things started to act funny.:confused: My high beams and low beams were both on at the same time. :spin:But I will double check on the fuses again tonight, thanks for your help!!:)

If the fuses aren't blowing, then it most likely won't be a ground issue. How certain are you that you've wired the lights properly? Do you have a multi-tester/meter that you can test voltage with? If so, unplug the harnesses and test between the lights to see what kind of results you're getting. That should certainly help eliminate a majority of the mystery. Hopefully, it isn't some strange electronic issue...
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Im 90% sure that I wired everything correctly. I tested each wire before I connected them. Im starting get a feeling that its an electric issue though. After I soldered the wires, I took them apart yesterday night and reconnected them, but still nothing. :icon_frowThe high beams work when I turn the engine on, but after a while they stop working. My mechanic is doing some research right now as well, but we both cant seem to get a solution. I guess Im going to have to look at the relay and see if theres anything wrong there.:spin:

Archived