LegacyGT.com

Head Lights Out, please help ASAP

I was driving the other evening and noticed that my headlights were not working. My parking lights are on, and my high beams work. However the the low beams will not go on.

I called the dealer figuring it's a fuse that's out, but they told me it was switch on the top of the steering column, but I flipped that back and forth and that does not do anything.

I looked at the fuses, but I couldn't find the one for the headlights, does anyone know exactly what fuse controls the power to the low beams? `05 Legacy 2.5i.

If it's not a fuse, does any one have any idea what it could be. Could the the headlights not coming on be a sign that there is a different problem?

In the mean time, if any sees the Black Subaru with it's high beams on, it's just me.

TIA.

• Mega Users

Well, step 1, read your manual and figure out what fuse powers your headlights.

The switch on the GT steering column is for the parking lights only.

Step 3, pull the headlight bulbs and see if they're burnt out (o rly?)

They're just headlights, it can't be that complicated. Just use a little abstract thinking.....

For 1 thing, I agree with Lt Dan...pull the bulbs and see if they're still good.

Then, looking at the FSM and wiring diagram for the 05LGT, if the fuses were out for the lights, the HB's wouldn't work. MB Fuse #7 is LH (LB and HB) and MB Fuse #6 is RH (LB and HB). MB fuses are under the hood.

jaweir, do your DRL's still light? Cause your LB's ground through the DRL relay.

If not, check FB Fuse #18, that is what Triggers the DRL Relay. (FB fuses are inside the car).

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

First, Gator no the DRL's do not come on. I'll look at #18 about that.

Second, yes I have gone thru the manual, however some of the acronyms that they use aren't clear, so that is why i was asking the forum, you guys are a wealth of information. i did check #7 and #6 both look fine.

Third, Bulbs are relatively new (less then 6months). (OK at least they appear good) I'll look at them in the day light tomorrow morning. what are the odds that both bulbs would blow at the same time?

Nothing is simple with this car. i have had more problems with this car, then with all of my past cars combined, including my wife's. If it's not one thing, it's another.

• Mega Users
This past thanksgiving, i had had a bulb out for a couple of weeks. Thanksgiving night, I was headed back home w/ a 3 hour drive ahead of me only to find out the second bulb had blown out. Luckily wal mart was open and had two sylvania bulbs left in stock. That's all the info i've got. These headlights burn through some bulbs

I know that there have been issues with both blowing at the same time, some of the bulbs dont like the voltage difference when one blows and causes the second to pop too. This is the second thread that i've seen about the 05 bulb issue in like the last month. Search around and you'll find plenty of info on it and people saying to switch over to HID's to remedy the problem, my guess is the simplest answer...look at your bulbs in the am, I bet they are both blown..

You don't need to switch to HID's

A lot of the 05's came with defective bulbs. Also, the subaru replacements were defective too early on.

Just replace them with new bulbs and make sure you wear a glove or don't touch the glass.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

what are the odds that both bulbs would blow at the same time?

Apparently on a Subaru, particularly the 05's, it pretty good odds. Its happened to me once, i'll never take a long trip again without spare bulbs :(

I wasn't saying that he had to, but that is the route a lot of people have gone. If not get the run of the mill stock ones from auto zone or a place like that, the upgeaded halogen ones don't seem to last very long. I had a set last me less than 2 months once.

You don't need to switch to HID's

A lot of the 05's came with defective bulbs. Also, the subaru replacements were defective too early on.

Just replace them with new bulbs and make sure you wear a glove or don't touch the glass.

I respectfully disagree. I went thru at least four pairs of bulbs, SilverStars, OE Sylvanias, Hellas, all were installed properly, I didn't touch the glass either. Disable the DRL function or go HID. I personally think it's the DRL and the notorious H7 style bulb.

My HID's have outlasted regular bulbs 4-1 and they are still going strong, even with DRL's.

Then disable the DRL's. I had the initial defective ones. Both blew within a day of each other and I've been on the replacements since. At least 3 years now

HID's are a $2k upgrade for most OEMs. Do you think a $100 kit is going to be as reliable and high quality as your OEM Halogens? You'd have to disable or modify the DRL's for HID's anyways

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

do you remember what it was, because it might come in handy for the OP

I don't think there was ever a conclusion. I suspect it may be a combination of the notoriously short lifespan of the H7 bulb, DRL's, and some low current spiking issues.

I have an 07, but I do recall seeing a lot of 05 Legacys back when they came out having at least 1 dead LB, thinking, "man, those JUST came out...how the heck are the lights burnt on so many???"

So yeah, if you have an 05, disable the DRLs and replace your LB bulbs, and if you like the idea of safety lights (ie: DRLs) then just turn on your headlamps via the switch.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

It was the bulbs. Bizarre. Anyways I'm only buying cheap bulbs from this point on. H7 style at Walmart, $20.

Now how do I disable the DRL's, just simple pull the fuse?

Thanks everyone for your help here.

Archived