LegacyGT.com

Legacy Problem

Guys i have a problem.. My legacy started giving trouble about a week ago. Anytime it crosses 4k rpm it starts breaking up really bad. A couple times it cut off on me and i had to pull to the side and reset the ecu to get going again.

Last night it cut off for good with an error message "Er HC". I did some research and its a 'High speed CAN communication failure'. Dont know WTF that means. I had to towed home yesterday, but while moving, the error cleared and i was able to start and drive the rest of the way home. I drove extremely slow to get home and even at that slow speed, under 20kph, the engine check light cuts in every now and then and the car is bucking and breaking up.

I was told that the error could be caused by low voltage from the battery so i changed the battery and the error is still there. Its not starting. Not even a tumble. Oh and the temperature gauge is reading H!!!!! But the car didnt start this morning so i dont know whats up with that.

All the engine fluids are good. Anybody know whats going on here?

HELP!!!!

Already carried it to the dealer and they said the grounding wire has a fault. They changed it out and said i should be fine now. Drove out but the car seemed a bit sluggish at first. on my way home the car cut off again. Checked the grounding wire and moved it aroundd a bit and then something somewhere made contact and the car started again.

So i still have an electrical problem but i just dont know where it is. i dont want to drive the car before i shut down somewhere and have to get towed. I still get a breaking up over 4k rpm but its not as bad before. Now they tell me i have a fuel problem and probably the filter is clogged. Dont know what the real deal is yet.

Already carried it to the dealer and they said the grounding wire has a fault. They changed it out and said i should be fine now. Drove out but the car seemed a bit sluggish at first. on my way home the car cut off again. Checked the grounding wire and moved it aroundd a bit and then something somewhere made contact and the car started again.

So i still have an electrical problem but i just dont know where it is. i dont want to drive the car before i shut down somewhere and have to get towed. I still get a breaking up over 4k rpm but its not as bad before. Now they tell me i have a fuel problem and probably the filter is clogged. Dont know what the real deal is yet.

You may want to take it somewhere else and do a search for any shorts in your electrical system. Stuff like this would cost an arm and a leg at a dealership.

Also, did they check your alternator?

Actually no they didnt check the alternator.........I even installed a grounding kit just in case that was the problem. Cost me like $20 and installed it myself.

Basically you guys think that its an electrical problem causing the engine and its components to not get enough power, right? Anything else?

Well given what you described about playing with the grounding wire and things start up again, that is the conclusion I am coming down to. I am not mechanically savvy as many of the others here, but that is what I am deducing.

How has the grounding worked for you thus far?

The grounding has made a difference the car doesnt not break up as much, it doesnt cut off as much either. But when i'm accelerating, whenever the rpm needle jumps or it starts breaking up i hear a clicking noise and sometimes the checklight comes on and goes back off unless the car cuts off.

I'm getting really fed up now............

^^^the fuel filter is a cheap part and easy to replace by yourself. it wouldnt hurt anything to try.

just clamp of the fuel lines with vice grips during removal/installation.

if the fuel system is clogged, the car will definitely cut out like you describe.

spark plugs, maybe try some injector cleaner, or heat to remove any air. just some ideas...

Nope its not bad gas...I filled up many times so far at different service stations and the problem is still there....I'm going to do a service myself tomorrow and i'll tel you know what happens....

Service includes:

Re Check grounding

Check Terminals and main ground

Check spark plugs

Service injectors

Service throttle body

Check Fuel pump

Change Oil

Did i leave out anything??.....................................

Ok problem solved!!! One of the wires on the ECU harness was sliced and apparently somebody interfered with the ground wire from the ECU cause it was slack as hell. I could have put my finger in the space that was there.

Thanks anyway guys.........

Archived