LegacyGT.com

94 Legacy wagon auto trans No start

Hi fellas.

Im trying to fix a friends 94 Legacy.

It started with the power windows and seatbelts going out at the same time. After working with the ever worthless haynes manual I opted for jump patching a fresh wire in to power the master switch and the windows work pretty much fine. The auto seatbelts are pushed back to the rearward position and unplugged at the controller to keep them from going forward and staying there forever after closing the door. The power mirrors arent working but can be moved by hand and the blower doesnt work at all.

Also the radio wont hold station presets or the time but alas she doesnt care about most of this stuff. The deal now is

It just wont start.

I have been reading about no start situations here and a couple almost sound similar in that there is a buzzing coming from under the dash.

My noise wasnt the dash at all but in the engine compartment tucked back behind the coils and throttle where there are two plugs. The noise was coming from the plug itself! There were two right there so I guess I should specify that it was positioned slightly deeper in and more toward the drivers side than the other.

I couldnt understand why it would do that but unplugged it and the noise stopped. I plugged it back in and theres the noise again. This was before the ghetto rigging or anything.

So after checking and rechecking all fuses and shuffling unlabeled relays. I get this dang No start.

Does anyone have a decent wiring diagram resource? Perhaps some ideas on what the crap I could have bumped in the process of taking the door off and running a new wire from the interior fuse box through the door wire loom to the master window switchthat would make a no spark or a no fuel situation?

Ohand while I continue diagnosing... Who knows how to hook up a button to the starter so I can check spark alone? Is that just jumping the s terminal or what?

Thanks guys,

-Confused&Defeated:confused:

So I tried checking for spark but couldnt get it to happen before the battery died again (2 or 3 chugs twice in different -almost touching- ground points). I unhooked the negative battery cable and have it charging overnight with no juice to the comp. got some testing procedures off alldata for fuel, coils and the ECU itself.

Am I on the right track folks?

Went through ignition system chex - Fail. Next step go to ECU check. Got no power at ecu at two of three pins.

didnt bother checking ground, went right for fuses. Found one bad labeled -of all things "ecu". Replaced that and still no start no spark. all the rest of the fuses are good. Still missing power at one of those three points on the ecu harness.

Does a cam or crank sensor fault provide a no spark situation? I dont have a check engine light on the dash... can it still be that?

I would say that you first should check all fuses and fusible links.

You may have a short somewhere causing all that trouble and that the bypass operation you did only helped partially.

Use a multimeter on each fuse to see if there is voltage or not, especially the ECU fuses.

453747.png

I have been using a test light and a multimeter. I narrowed it down to The ECU or the Igniter (ignition module). I am now waiting on the friend who owns the car to decide whether or not to fix it. I think she doesnt want the car anymore because its been causing so much trouble.

I wonder though if the ECU is bad, maybe it has caused the other problems in the first place.

By the way, thanks for being the only guy who cares and is willing to try at helping. :)

• 1 month later...
first let me say abig thank you to this forum. I have a 97 subaru 2.2, with no spark to cylinders 1 and three. I changed out the cts,coil pack and was angry enough to tear the dash half way out to get to the wiring harness, finally I bought antiming light and there it was no spark!!! I read the forums here and someone said to check your grounds, the engine tobody ground had been broken off,and the others were highly corroded. problem is resolved,so in closing I want to say check all the grounds,and clean them up!

Archived