LegacyGT.com

Question about San Diego and Scenic Drive

Nachowang

So I'll be in San Diego later in the month for work and my wife is coming with me to check out San Diego for the 1st time. We want to take a scenic drive up to Laguna Beach but I see that there's I-5 and Route 101. Which route would be the nicest for an ocean front drive? On the map it looks to be 101, how's that road?

Thanks!

san diego to laguna beach on the 101 is alright. its definitely better than the 5 in terms of scenery. if you go way north though the 101 gets kinda scary with drop offs and no guard rails, along with foggy conditions..that gets scary.

but yeah... the 101 is the way to go between SD and laguna

car for sale. PM me!

Depends on how far you want to go north.

If you have half day, go Torry Pines/La Jolla.

If you have whole day, go Palos Verdes/Redondo Beach Pier.

If you have few day, go Monterey Bay thru Big Sur.

If you have a week, hell, go all the way to Seattle.

Magic word is called Pacific Coast Hwy,or Hwy 1.

Enjoy!!

He runs the Sofia downtown - real nice location, and a good place too.

As for driving - if you like twisties, drive the 78 out east from the coast past the Wild Animal Park. I always enjoy driving through the mountains between lemon/orange orchards. It's pretty amazing imo...

The southern terminus of U.S. Highway 101 is Los Angeles, so it won't be useful for you in getting from San Diego to Laguna Beach. State Route 1 only goes as far south as Dana Point, where it ends into I-5. Thus, you'll have to drive I-5 north to SR 1 north to get to Laguna Beach.

Actually, the OP is correct: the stretch of surface street that runs along the coast in the North County there IS called 101, rather than 1. Not sure why. It's also called Carlsbad Blvd. and Coast highway. There are some nice stretches along there, so go for it if you have the time, but IMHO the better scenic drive is on the other side of Camp Pendleton.

I'd recommend this: Take the 5 North to San Clemente and exit at El Camino Real and head north on that. There is a real nice stretch along the beach there, and then you will want to loop up and around onto the PCH (Hwy 1) North, and take that to Laguna. The best stretch of the PCH there is the part that runs north from Laguna into Newport Beach - you definitely need to do that drive!

If you have the time, stop by Crystal Cove State Park there for a bit. There are multiple entrances, but the one you want is just past the Ruby's Shake Shack as you are heading North. The Shake Shack will be on the bluff to your left, and then the parking lot will be on your right (inland.) You park there and then walk back thru a tunnel under the PCH to the beach, where there is a really cool little cluster of rental cottages plus a restaurant and cabana bar right on the sand. The neat part is that this is all hidden below the cliffs, so when you are down there it feels like you are really away from the city.

Have fun!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

^^excellent advice..thanks! I was going to head up to laguna, but it sounds like Newport Beach might be worth checking out. We're in no hurry and got plenty of time! She just wants to check out the SD zoo beforehand.

Ok being that I've driven just about everywhere in california since I've lived just about everywhere I'll tell you what I would do.

If your down in downtown head up the 5 fwy, Exit genesee turn left and just keep driving up it as it turns into hwy 101 and goes practically onto the beach. You'll go through Del Mar (very cute little town) and solana beach up through encinitas and carlsbad. Once you get past carlsbad its oceanside and you can either continue through oceanside to the 5fwy or turn up back in Carlsbad at where you turn right onto Carlsbad Village drive and it takes you to the 5 north. Then your heading up the coast on the 5 where you can get off where Scooter recommends from there.

Laguna is actually a fantastic town to spend some time in and explore - better than Newport Beach in that regard. That stretch of PCH between the two is simply stunning. : ) North of Newport all the way up past Huntington Beach to the border of Long Beach is a great drive, too. If you let us know exactly how much time you have and what kind of things you like I'm sure we could offer some more suggestions, as well... but you are going to be perfectly fine exploring anywhere in that area on your own, I'm sure.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

We'll have all day saturday and sunday. Her only "must" is doing the zoo and we both always wanted to do the coastal drive. We've heard from friends that laguna is a spectacular area so we're headed that way for sure. I've only been to San Diego once and i know there's Sea World and Petco as well and we'll check those places out if there's an opportunity. Plus it helps that our hotel is in downtown so we'll automatically have the gaslamp district to explore.

If you are in Orange County on an early Saturday morning and have time, check out Cars & Coffee in Irvine: http://www.cars-and-coffee.com/, http://irvine.carsandcoffee.info/

Here are a few links to pics I've taken on various Saturdays last year:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89905

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91326

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94913

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95941

-ben

Archived