LegacyGT.com

Gauging Interest: LED Third Brake Lights

ArcTec34

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked a buddy of mine, he said $45 was "ridiculous" for an LED 3rd brake light.

sorry. I tried..

I showed him the one you sold me.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

^ I don't know that's fair....

Looking at the plug-and-play LED-retrofit options for various vehicles, even the Ford F150 applications - given the dilution of cost, from volume - are in the $80+ range...even commercially/retail, that comment of the price for this retrofit being "ridiculous" doesn't quite jibe. Most such projects that are on a hobbyist basis cost around $30 to $50, too.

Certainly, if one were to spend the time/labor on it himself, no, the price would be much lower.

But for the convenience of a plug-and-play? Given that I didn't have to spend time ordering/gathering resources and soldering, I think that the $45 is plenty fair.

Plus, one's gotta remember to come at this from the hobbyist angle. These are small-volume projects, so it's hard to recoup materials costs - and virtually impossible to recoup the time/labor cost.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

well, obviously since I bought one i disagree with him :p They're a rather frugal bunch.. I'm more extravagent in my expenses :lol: I buy "the best" when I want something regardless of cost.. and if I cant get "the best" I go w/o any unless I MUST have it.. (like food or something..)
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

^ I know, I wasn't blaming you. :wink:

I think that the problem is that people expect to get these things at-cost, and that's not realistic, unless they want to really build the item themselves either from pre-existing plans (a few exist, for a few select vehicles) or, alternatively, are willing to tackle it from the ground-up.

Both require much more effort than just plugging it in. :smile:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 4 months later...
^ Now there's two of these, running around the Cleveland area!!!! :D

• 2 years later...

Archived