LegacyGT.com

Debating LGT wagon Auto or 5speed, HP increase potential.

Looking to buy a LGT wagon, I used to own a Subaru Sti and also a WRX wagon in the past so pretty used to the minor upgrades on the WRX. But having such a hard time finding a 5speed, I am leaning towards leaning a Automatic tranny. Just wondering who out there with an Auto has done any mods to get some more pep out of it. Can you still put DP, UP and Cobb AP and tune the motor. Can the tranny handle any more books than the stock tune. Any feedback would be so awesome! Thanks!

There are many members here who've gone Stage 2 etc. with the auto tranny. It's usually recommended to at least install a transmission cooler and get an IPT valve body upgrade to go along with Stage 2. You'll dig up more by searching. Make it your best friend. :)

My wagon shopping experience was opposite of yours. I wanted an auto wagon but mostly found manuals. And this was just a few months ago.

I personally just like to drive a manual...the shifting, rev matching, controlling the clutch, etc. It's just part of the fun of driving. To some this isn't a big deal, or, they have bumper to bumper traffic all the time and they want an auto for convenience.

I've driven the auto and I think it's fine for an auto. An auto just isn't near as enjoyable for me personally--others may feel the opposite, that manuals are a pain. Even if I could get an auto that would help get me around a track faster (e.g. like the new EVO auto that is supposed to be stellar), I'd still want a manual for the enjoyment.

Certainly test drive them.

Archived