LegacyGT.com

Gutted DP, got STI UP, go Cobb STG 2 RT or Base Map?

GP2001

Hey, so last night I gutted my stock downpipe and replaced my up pipe with an sti up pipe. Right now I am flashed to a real time stage 2 map. Should I change my base map to stage 2 now? Also, how do the stock turbo's hold up at an AP stage 2? I get on it once and a while, but more or less drive like a normal person. I just get nervous because I feel like the boost at stage 2 is putting my turbo pretty much at its max efficiency level. Do a lot of people seem to have problems with that? If the turbo goes that would suck, but it is easily enough replaced. The engine shouldn't have any problem at Cobb Stage 2 correct? I know their maps are super conservative, I need my car to be reliable and als run for a long time. If smaller stuff breaks, so be it, I just can't afford to have my motor dying on me,lol I honestly have read all the answers to these questions before. Forgive me, I would just like someone to confirm because I am crazy,lol:spin:

Yeah..flash both yout Base and RT to stage 2.

There are alot of folks running stage 2 + for many miles and the turbo is holding up fine. There are also a lot of folks running stock with blown turbos...go figure! I think regular oil changes is key..use synthetic and change the oil often.

Good luck..

Yeah..flash both yout Base and RT to stage 2.

There are alot of folks running stage 2 + for many miles and the turbo is holding up fine. There are also a lot of folks running stock with blown turbos...go figure! I think regular oil changes is key..use synthetic and change the oil often.

Good luck..

Ok thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Like I said, if the turbo goes, it goes. I can grab another one for a few hundred bucks and toss it on within a few hours. Its really the engine that is my main concern. I need to start logging to make sure I don't have any knock...I wish the damn tatrix cable wasn't so expensive. I have a Cobb AP V1 and I heard people used the wire that came with that to log, anyone have a link that explains how this works?

I have a Cobb AP V1 and I heard people used the wire that came with that to log, anyone have a link that explains how this works?

All you need to do is download romraider logger, download the latest logger defs, connect the V1 cable and choose the parameters you want to log.

More info here: http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/RomRaiderFAQ#toc53

I have your exact setup and I've been problem free for over 60,000 miles. I gutted the first section of the downpipe leaving one cat in the car to pass emissions here in PA (running '06 STI uppipe as well). Your setup is perfect for the street. I've had my car Protuned and boost is 18.5 psi so I pretty much drive like you described. Turbo will be fine because your not on the throttle for long periods of time. Enjoy the stage two. If you look at my home page you'll see a couple of dyno runs and you'll get an idea on what your car is putting down with the cheapest way to go stage 2 I know of.

'07 Forester STI (ECS Performance)..SOLD!

'09 Spec B...Sold!

'11 LGT Limited...Sold!

'17 STI Limited

I have your exact setup and I've been problem free for over 60,000 miles. I gutted the first section of the downpipe leaving one cat in the car to pass emissions here in PA (running '06 STI uppipe as well). Your setup is perfect for the street. I've had my car Protuned and boost is 18.5 psi so I pretty much drive like you described. Turbo will be fine because your not on the throttle for long periods of time. Enjoy the stage two. If you look at my home page you'll see a couple of dyno runs and you'll get an idea on what your car is putting down with the cheapest way to go stage 2 I know of.

Are you running that protuned from the dyno day up at Jon in NH or you had to get a new tune for the VF46?

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Do you get any odd noise (turbo flutter) from your setup? I used a gutted DP for a long while ago but heard an odd sound which I thought might have been from that setup, but now think may have been due to an exhaust leak. I'm thinking about going back to it.

Are you running that protuned from the dyno day up at Jon in NH or you had to get a new tune for the VF46?

**I plots on my site are from the stock VF40. I replaced it 10,000 miles ago and now run a VF46. Had the VF46 Protuned over at Precision Tuning in Lakewood NJ after I had Fred Beans Subaru install it. The dyno numbers for the Protuned VF46 are 246whp and 298wtq. The power is exactly the same. I protuned it to see if there was a real difference but there was not. Thought about installing a VF52 but I bought a used VF46 instead. Had it installed and then protuned it for the price of a nice VF52.

**The stock VF40 was tuned by Jon before he left for Cali and then I returned for a torco tune which was done by Mike before he shutdown TDC and open Tuning Alliance in CT.

Do you get any odd noise (turbo flutter) from your setup? I used a gutted DP for a long while ago but heard an odd sound which I thought might have been from that setup, but now think may have been due to an exhaust leak. I'm thinking about going back to it.

**I hear a little flutter in 1st gear only but that is normal. No weird noises. The first cat is removed, I'm not completely catless. I did this to pass emissions and to keep the noise down. That's why I have only OEM Subaru parts on my exhaust. Very, very quiet and very, very quick. :cool:

Jeff are you running an after market IC? reinforced?

**Aftermarket...Perrin Top Mount Intercooler. Best thing I ever did. Your not going to blow a 4" think soild piece of aluminum that's for sure. Plus it just made sense.

'07 Forester STI (ECS Performance)..SOLD!

'09 Spec B...Sold!

'11 LGT Limited...Sold!

'17 STI Limited

Archived